Sad Day :( Please Help

I've been down this road before.

If the guitar has a gloss finish it's not a problem. Get one of those erasers that are used to erase a dry-erase marker board. These erasers work well, you just have to give it a bit more effort than you would for a dry erase marker. I had an entire band sign one of my guitars with a permanent marker and decided to remove the signatures in order to sell the guitar a few years later. The dry-erase marker worked perfectly and didn't leave any marks or scratches at all in the finish.

Traditionally you'd shoot a very fine mist coat over them to seal them. A mist coat dries almost as it hits the surface so it doesn't have time to bleed into the existing finish. It's what I do with very bright sunbursts and colours as well as to seal in rosewood and ebony bindings that may tend to leach into the spruce top when washing coulours onto front and sides. It's also a good technique to seal off watersllide decals before applying them to headstocks..

You'd need to know exactly what finish is on there first though to avoid adhesion problems. Once the mist coat is on you can build as usual.

Always test finishing methods on scrap first.

OK, not to sound as dense as I actually am (too late, I know), a fine mist coat of what exactly?

OK, not to sound as dense as I actually am (too late, I know), a fine mist coat of what exactly?

What ever the finish is thats already on there. Normally nitro. If your not sure you'd shoot a mist coat of shellac and build on that. With some finishes you'll have trouble because they don't let you build up once it has cured. As with all things finishing it's a bit of a feel your way thing. Test on scrap.

What ever the finish is thats already on there. Normally nitro. If your not sure you'd shoot a mist coat of shellac and build on that. With some finishes you'll have trouble because they don't let you build up once it has cured. As with all things finishing it's a bit of a feel your way thing. Test on scrap.
just to let you know ..... the guitar is basically scrap ..... it's a guitar that he's had the last few Jamfests just for the purpose of having everyone sign it and, I'm guessing, he wants to keep those sigs from smudging.
Spraying it doesn't really ahve anything to do with making the git purty.
Is that about right notcardio?

I have one like that too ..... cheapo something that has sigs all over it.

just to let you know ..... the guitar is basically scrap ..... it's a guitar that he's had the last few Jamfests just for the purpose of having everyone sign it and, I'm guessing, he wants to keep those sigs from smudging.
Spraying it doesn't really ahve anything to do with making the git purty.
Is that about right notcardio?

I have one like that too ..... cheapo something that has sigs all over it.

You still need to make sure you use the right stuff or the finish won't adhere and you'll get peeling and blistering. If in doubt go with a shellac and then build some nitro.

I've been down this road before.

If the guitar has a gloss finish it's not a problem. Get one of those erasers that are used to erase a dry-erase marker board. These erasers work well, you just have to give it a bit more effort than you would for a dry erase marker. I had an entire band sign one of my guitars with a permanent marker and decided to remove the signatures in order to sell the guitar a few years later. The dry-erase marker worked perfectly and didn't leave any marks or scratches at all in the finish.

I've actually found, from all the time at work where douchebags write on white boards in permenant marker, that if you scribble liberally over the permenant marker with a dry wipe marker, you can actually get most of the permenant off with the eraser.

You still need to make sure you use the right stuff or the finish won't adhere and you'll get peeling and blistering. If in doubt go with a shellac and then build some nitro.

Of course, I have no idea what the finish is. It's a Greg Bennett (Samick) that GC had a short run of (probably some sort of production mistake) for $50. That being said, it does have really nice soundhole inlay, body is totally maple (although the top grain isn't too pretty), and it does play like a dream. I really wish I had bought another guitar to use for the sigs, so that I could continue to play it. That's kinda why I want to be able to seal the sigs. I still want to be able to add more to it, though.

I bought an old Strat copy guitar that was covered in duct tape and had drawings scribbled on it in marker pen. I used WD 40 to remove the gunk from the tape residue and it took the marker ink with it. I polished the finish with a nice wax and it came out looking new again. This guitar had been kicked around alot and the duct tape saved it from scratches and chips. It's a nice player and I put new pickups and pots and tuner heads on it because I got it for $20.00 and had the spare gear to install. I figured I had nothing to lose. Mind you, if this guitar had any real value to it, I would have been more careful and not experimented with the WD 40. Just my two cents worth.

Back