S8-N plays the blues

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
Digging around through my old stuff I came up with a demo from Atlanta '94 I was in a band called "Spawn Ranch Disciples" and we did a few songs at a local studio... There is a bluesy solo at the end of this song from the days when I still played solos...
It might useful to listen to an mp3 that was done in a pro studio( 2 inch tape, 24 tracks, all vintage gear...) but it was never mastered cause I didn't know any better back then...
We recorded and mixed 4 songs in 8 hours at $50 per hour for $400... This is the best sounding studio stuff I have done...
And I'm still not happy with the kick drum sound...

www.freedrive.com

freedrive name: mofocom6

keycode: 420653

folder: mp3s

song: The Cunting

Wow that's some tasty stuff! Both the tune and the lead lick at the end. But your blaming no mastering seems off base. I think if you had the raw tracks and what you now know, a simple remix would do the trick.

And BTW- you're blowin' it somehow with that upload to freedrive, 'cause the files come down as .html instead of .mp3 but if you change the extension they'll play. But we shouldn't have to do that.... :)

Uh... I dont know... I followed their instructions... Let me try to actually download one of my files and see what happens...

S8-N

I downloaded my own MP3 (which took 25 minutes) and I couldn't find it in my hard drive (which is where I downloaded it to...) Then I switched the file type that I was looking for from "all supported types" to "show all files" and then it appeared and worked...
Why??? I don't know, unless it is this bootleg underground MP3 converter that I am using... For some reason it converts files to MP3 but they don't show up as MP3... Why is beyond me... When I click on "properties" it lists the file as "winamp media file"
Maybe Winamp has something to do with it... I really have no idea...

Help me find a free MP3 encoder and I will try that...
I keep thinking that Cool Edit Pro will release some kind of free upgrade that will allow us poor suckers to convert our files to MP3... But it hasn't happened yet... And the MP3 revolution is old news now...
You know that feeling... like you just spent $300 on multitracking software that is rapidly becoming obsolete... And there's not a dogsacklicking thing that you can do about it... And you get the feeling that the "company" who released it is teetering on the verge of non-existance??? Syntrillium's website hasn't been updated since 1997... Is that a BAD sign???

Maybe I should have tried N-track...

-Getting what I paid for...
S8-N

Another funky detail about that .mp3 file was that it showed up as 48KHz sample rate according to Siren and Vegas. They won't write 48KHz .mp3s as far as I know. Where was the .mp3 recorder gotten? Can I get a copy?

I was bitching about not being able to find a free mp3 encoder that would work at 128 kbs which I needed to post my crap on mp3.com... And someone from this BB emailed me this one... I can't remember who... I lost his email address in the ISP shuffle...
I'll send it to ya if you want... It is called SCMPX.

S8-N

Dondello:

Are you sure it's good? Since we both use n-Track we're both using it...but it seems that it really muddles the high end percussion like cymbals and the hi-hat. I've heard some mp3's at 128 that sounded absolutely perfect so I was wondering if perhaps there's a better encoder out there? (though that might not have anything to do with it...and I'm way to lazy to try em all)

S8-N:

Looks like this thread has gotten way off-topic. I'll download your tune right now.

Slackmaster 2000

S8-N: All you gotta do is RENAME the file
before you upload! No biggie. Changing extensions is no different than changing the filename, except for the nasty warning you get from Bill when you try. Ignore him. He doesn't like your music anyway.

I really like this one. Cool transition from nasty syncopation into straight 4. The recording is excellent as well, of course you did mention that it was done professionally. I dig the solo at the end... sort of half blues half neo-classical. There is a guitar player in there eh? I can understand your seeming dislike for guitar solos though...they're just so easy and fill up space pretty well when you're out of ideas. That's my excuse anyway...except when it comes to blues guitar that is. I tend to end too many of my own tunes with guitar solos because I'm not sure what else to do :)

I think your brain is out of whack with this kick drum shit though. It's like staring at an object way off in the distance...the more you look the harder it is to focus. It sounds good to me!

Slackmaster 2000

How did the mp3 conver. program turn out? I've been using Audiograbber with the pro Freinhousenwhateveritis codec and it seems to work very well. Or maybe my pc speakers just suck. Anyway, I can hook you up if you need.

Back