S/pdif?

Fusion2

very new to this, if i understand it right it only accepts/sends digital signals, is that right? is that why i see people using vcr's to record audio? that can't aford an adat? ok, excuse the newness again...

is there any way it works with analog signals? yes converted i guess? humm...

i'll ask about the cable types if i can use it at all, thanks again...

Well, VCRS have nothing to do with S/PDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interface). It's a digital format. You'd be interested in this if you needed to move digital audio from one digital device to another in the digital domain. It's one of a few formats (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, Lightpipe, etc).
S/PDIF uses a 75 ohm video type cable usually terminated in RCA connectors (although I have seen BNC).

Track Rat said:
Well, VCRS have nothing to do with S/PDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interface). It's a digital format. You'd be interested in this if you needed to move digital audio from one digital device to another in the digital domain. It's one of a few formats (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, Lightpipe, etc).
S/PDIF uses a 75 ohm video type cable usually terminated in RCA connectors (although I have seen BNC).

ok thanks, its just for moving digital audio data? or you mean recording data between devices? i thought the vcr might of used a digital signal...

i know analog is converted to digital and back through an analog mixer so wouldn't audio data be digital before it is sent from the comp to say a dat mach? humm, i'm missing something, it doesn't seem worth much to use it, or digial is just slow to come to market, or to expensive...

what good is it? and who would use it, thanks...

HiFI VHS uses a form of FM recording, it's not digital.

You can send either a digital signal OR an analog signal to the DAT.... if you send analog, there's an A/D converter on the DAT to convert it to digital... if you send digital, you would have alreayd have to have converted the signal to digital via an A/D that is external to the DAT.

"i know analog is converted to digital and back through an analog mixer " -

Sorry, this just isn't true. An analog mixer is called that because it deals with ANALOG signals. There is normally no conversion between digital and analog involved here.

The only exception I could think of would be that SOME analog mixers now include an effects section, most of which now operate digitally.

When you route your analog signals so as to use these INTERNAL effects, that portion of the signal that uses the effects generator gets converted to digital, the effects are applied digitally, then the output of the effects generator is converted BACK to ANALOG and mixed with the (still un-converted) ANALOG main signal, and the summed ANALOG mix is then routed to the outputs of the mixer.

"what good is it? and who would use it, thanks" -

There are advantages and disadvantages to both analog and digital, some of which are real and some of which are only in the minds of people who think that they SHOULD be able to hear a difference, and some of which are just plain BULL.

Even within the same function, there are good, bad and ugly ways of doing the same thing. It's kind of like cars - you can (maybe) get there in a Yugo, if your butt is well padded and you don't mind feeling worse when you arrive than when you left, or you can get there in a BMW 735, travelling in supple leather seats and listening to a soft classical CD (actually HEARING all of its subtle nuances) -

In other words, there is well-designed and poor-designed circuitry in both digital and analog form, and generally the cost reflects which is which. Well-designed analog gear tends to be more expensive than (some) well-designed digital gear.

Analog gear has the advantage of being somewhat simpler to connect in a way, since it doesn't require as much thought to wire. You only need to match levels and impedances between consumer and pro types of gear, and the analog signal will get there.

Digital gear is still evolving, and there are some units that won't interface with others unless you add a "format converter" of one kind or another. Using multiple pieces of digital gear requires connecting not only the "audio" signal, but usually also a Word Clock signal, or the very least problem you get is crackles/pops - sometimes you get NOTHING at all.

The upside of digital is that you can reach a pretty professional level of sound quality in a recording studio environment for less money than the same number of tracks would cost done in analog.

If you're really serious about learning all you can, and don't want to make expensive mistakes buying things that are not compatible with each other, I would second Bear's recommendation about the John Watkinson book - It's 739 pages not including the index, and I guarantee that if you read it from cover to cover and actually UNDERSTAND and remember it all, you'll be more knowledgeable about digital audio than ANY person who's EVER posted here, period... Steve

knightfly said:
.... I guarantee that if you read it from cover to cover and actually UNDERSTAND and remember it all, you'll be more knowledgeable about digital audio than ANY person who's EVER posted here, period... Steve
...except for the other people that post here that have already read the book and understood it all!!! (like MQQ!) :p

:D :D

knightfly said:
"If you're really serious about learning all you can, and don't want to make expensive mistakes buying things that are not compatible with each other, I would second Bear's recommendation about the John Watkinson book

inspiring, and well said...

i'm at a crossroads at this moment in recording, it's a rather large agenda to take on when i haven't the time to do my daily routine's already, as you can see from my miss thought/worded post...

Blue Bear Sound said:
HiFI VHS uses a form of FM recording, it's not digital.

You can send either a digital signal OR an analog signal to the DAT.... if you send analog, there's an A/D converter on the DAT to convert it to digital... if you send digital, you would have alreayd have to have converted the signal to digital via an A/D that is external to the DAT.

BB, thanks, so it's "no go" analog through S/pdif, that's what i needed to clear up, i understand how audio cards converter signals i just miss worded in my post, excuse, i though there may have been some way to send a digital signal to a s/pdif in or output within the same system, or that the system would convert the signal back and forth between the system/pc and card/s/pdif input...

i'm really hunting another in/out, can't have enough of thoes now can we :)

thanks again...

Simply put....you can only use devices that have a digital output to an input of a spdif port... and devices that except digital signals from a spdif out port.

Stealthtech said:
Simply put....you can only use devices that have a digital output to an input of a spdif port... and devices that except digital signals from a spdif out port.

thanks, it does my heart good to see god like audio techs hit in here at the newb section and help out, you guys sleep good at night i expect, you "all" know who you are ;)

thanks again, 100x

SPINSTERWUN said:
Fusion2, here is some reading for you, once you get some "spare time". ;0

http://www.studiocovers.com/

spin

thanks, looks like what i need, i have some time, just not 800 pages worth, and remembering it all, heh, that's a 3 months worth at my speed, most likey twice that, and another 6 to rehash and remeber it all again ;)

Back