S/PDIF Input

ebitda

A bit of advice needed from those 'in the know'. I'm confused as to how to set up Cubase SE to record a S/PDIF input. I've got a mic into a Focusrite Voicemaster into MOTU 828 via S/PDIF input. Up to this stage works ok. The MOTU 828 S/PDIF 'in' light is is responding to the mic as it should.

My question is: how do I set up a track to record the S/PDIF input in Cubase. If it were a 'normal' analogue input (not S/PDIF I mean) I'd set 'input' in the Inspector to whatever input/channel the signal was being routed via the MOTU 828. But, as ever, nothing is straightforward and I cannot understand how I set up an audio track to accept a S/PDIF input.

The most frustrating aspect is that I know the issue lies with my inexperience rather than the kit!

Rgds

CArl

Hey man....here is how you do it for Cubase SX....I don't know if SE is the same, but try it?

Go under VST Connections!
click on it

You should have a preset for mono or Stereo...left click on what it shows and you should have an option to switch it to SPDIF,
If not, add BUS will do it as well....then you can set up a mono bus with SPDIF!

This should help....Rock on! :)

Lorde - thanks for advice buddy.

Looking around, Cubase SE does not seem to have a 'VST Connections' option/menu unless it's worded differently from other Cubase versions....I appreciate your suggestion anyway. Thanks.

Any other thoughts out there...someone must be using S/PDIF with Cubase SE?? Maybe not, hey, maybe I'm unique...somehow doubt that very much

It is under DEVICES, or F4 is the default key! Press F4 and your VST connections window should pop up! Try it. :D

Thanks again Lorde - tried your suggestion. F4 takes me to 'VST Outputs' pop up. I definately do not have a 'VST Connections' option under 'DEVICES'. So it may be that my version of Cubase ie. SE does not support S/PDIF perhaps?!?

does it have a VST inputs? May be that is what it is called? Not trying to push this, just tryin to help. haha Lorde...It should recognize every input on the MOTU.... :)

ebitda I have SE, although don't use the S/PDIF. HAve you tried clicking on the Device Setup at the bottom of the Devices drop down? If you then select VST Multitrack you get to the soundcard settings. With my audiophile a Control Panel panel button come sup and I can set everything from there - don't know how it works with a MOTU but it might become clear.

Otherwise it's F5 to open VST input but it doesn't seem to allow you to change input selection from there. Sorry ot to give a full answer but it might help a little.

The solution

Thanks for your help guys - from what you said and some internet work, finally worked it out. He's the answer for anyone who's wondering.

For some very strange reason the MOTU 828 control panel does not refer to S/Pdif or the Optical input - why I don't know. Analog inputs are numbered 1-8...however, if you go to the bottom of the list of inputs in the VST Input menu, there are also 2 further inputs numbered 9 & 10! I saw these and just thought they were redundant/non-usable inputs..there not. Input 9 is S/PDIF and 10 Optical.

Why MOTU couldn't have made reference to this in the manual I don't know. I am not a mind-reader MOTU Technical Support! A short reference somewhere would have saved me hours and hours of searching.

Rgds

Well, if you haven't mastered mind reading there is no hope for you in the world of using recording gear. ;) I get by with my Yamaha kit by a painfully acquired grasp of Japglish.

Back