S/PDIF Cables

nommad

Hello. I know this is REALLY basic but, what cable do I use to go from the S/PDIF out on one card to the S/PDIF in on another card? I know I use an RCA cable, but is it the same kind as you use for home stereo connections? Or is it some kind of special "stereo" RCA cable? The kind I have at home consist of two mono plugs (one red and one white) on each end, but the S/PDIF only has one for in and one for out... does it transmit a stereo signal over a mono line??? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
~ Michael

Don't sweat the small stuff....:)

You COULD use that crappy ol' RCA cable. But really, that cable is not really suited well for transmitting digital data.

S/PDIF calls for using a 75ohm cable, the same kind you use to hook up your VCR, or cable to your TV.

Try to keep the cable lengths as short as possible (a good idea with audio in general).

Digital data is not transferred in the same manner as regular ol' analog sound is. Your one S/PDIF line is capable of transmitting two channels of up to 24 bit, 48KHz sampling rate audio through that one line. Cool eh? :)

Don't worry, the two devices will work out what is left and what is right channel after you hook up the cable. They are kind of smart that way....:)

Ed

Back