s/pdif and computer monitoring sound question

Buddy Lee

I have a mic pre with an s/pdif output and want to connect it with my computer's soundcard(soundblaster pro/creative). Would you just use the line-in from the soundcard or does it require a soundcard with an s/pdif input?

And, I also want to know how I can monitor the sound I'm recording through headphones. What's the easiest/cheapest/or most efficient way to do that?

Buddy Lee said:
I have a mic pre with an s/pdif output and want to connect it with my computer's soundcard(soundblaster pro/creative). Would you just use the line-in from the soundcard or does it require a soundcard with an s/pdif input?
Yes, you'll need a soundcard with s/pdif. s/pdif is a digital connection. So for recordig it into your computer you should have a soundcard with also a digital connection. or you could use the analog output of your preamp. That should be able to connect to the soundcard's line in

And, I also want to know how I can monitor the sound I'm recording through headphones. What's the easiest/cheapest/or most efficient way to do that?
turn on mirroring sound in the contrel panel.

a mic preamp with a digital output?

what model mic preamp?

it depends on where you want to convert to digital. in the preamp or the soundcard. if you get a new soundcard with digital input then the soundcard may very well have better converters than your preamp!

if you go line in on your present soundcard then your present soundcard may have lousy converters!

then again your soundcard might have a good converter...

we dont know!

it's a presonus digitube preamp. I just wanted to hear the difference between all the outputs to see which one has the best sound quality for digital recording.

And, I was looking for the mirroring sound in control panel, I couldn't find it. I have a soundblaster pro using creative software and recording with cool edit pro.

You can monitor from the soundcard's headphone jack. Although mix monitoring shoud be done with monitors not headphones.

Back