Rust on the Blade

Whatmysay

I have not posted anything for a couple of months, but would really value opinion on this mix

Rust on the Blade

I am submitting it to 'Waves' as part of a competition - probably got a 'snowflakes chance in hell' but hey it was a challenge! Its Alt country so if you have a Banjophobia then best save your ears!

Cheers

Burt

Rust on the Blade
(Burt Crow © June 2011)

You said to meet by the hanging tree
Out of town past the cemetery
The run away to Hollywood
Nothing would stop us being in love
So I waited, I waited

Refrain
My restless heart prayed you were late
But felt a cut with rust on the blade
Rust on the blade

You sent your sister with a perfume note
Like a razor to my throat
It held me captive with the promise of
Californian sun and making a love
So I waited, I waited

Refrain
My schoolboy heart stood all that day
And took your cut with rust on the blade
Rust on the blade

Mid-8
Rust on the blade and in the flesh you lacerate
When you cut me down that day and I’m still bleeding
Well I got rust in my blood and I got scars from your love.
Well I heal if I could but I’m still waiting

Seasons past at that cemetery
You went out west but not with me
Oh your arms were just an open grave
That I lay in and never escaped
I’m still waiting, I’m waiting

Refrain
My nervous heart might love again
But fears a cut with rust on the blade
Rust on the blade

Rust on the blade
I’m waiting, I’m waiting

Terrific song & performance.
Mix wise it's a little toppy until the band comes in - the guitar & mandolin seem to be scraping the ceiling a bit. Did you low shelf them or something?
Actually the whole song is lacking in bottom end.
terrific song as I said. I can actually hear Jon Bon Jovi doing around his Shot Through The Heart country pop rock period.

Thanks Ray

I mixed it on a Focusrite VRM Box so that might account for it - I had read that the emulation tend to over emphasises the bass, but I did preview it in the car & 'in-laws' stereo (I'm on holidays so no monitors) & it sounded OK. The Mandolin I did EQ out a bit of the 'body' as it made it more present in the mix - perhaps too much! I have another mix, that I did with my usual SSL Desk plugs-ins which does sound fuller, but I was also trying to use the plugs-in, promoted in the competition

Thanks for the positive words on the song, I think it is one of my better ones.

Cheers
Burt

I like the lyrics a lot. I would call your mid-8 section a chorus and use it again after v3. I don't like the word lacerate, or at least not in that liine. Love the Rust in the blood/ Scars from your love line.

Guitar and mandolin seem very harsh. No thump to the kick, in fact, there seems to be no bottom end at all.

Always enjoyed your singing and songwriting over the years.

yeah a little toppy indeed. the kick is a bit too much there too. the vox may need a little compression adjustment. i think i would need to hear it altered before giving more feedback.

Thanks for thoughts Chiii I was going for a more AABA structure and while I like the B section I don't think it has the legs of a Chorus! But I will possible play around with it.

Cello - Well definitely review foot & fatten bass EQ

Cheers

Burt

Good tune and performances.....but, man!....sounds like over-processing to near max.
I know this would really rock if you re-mixed the original, un-voodooed trackage and mastered with restraint!

Thx Jeff
I hope that is what I have done with the next one I'm working on - I was using the plugs for the competition and I think that Masarati is more of a Hip Hop/contemporary pop producer - so the sound is not an ideal fit for acoustic?

The next mix is just done on SSL emulations and I'll take a more gentle approach with running mu Pultec em into iZotope!

Cheers
Burt

Back