Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5017

Paulie Storm

Hi all, looking for my second pre now that I've played around with my focusrite isa one. I was looking for something with a different flavor. Looking for the pros, cons and any opinions on RND. Portico 5017. Thanks for your input!

I don't know about the one your asking about, but if you can build at all, I'd recommend looking at the Seventh Circle Audio stuff (I learned how to make them on my own and these units have great instructions). Inexpensive and you can get some Jensons and API etc! Very very cool and super high quality.

The Portico stuff is great.

But I agree with aaronmcoleman about the Seventh Circle stuff. It's great stuff, you can mix and match different style units and can't beat the price.Used a few but still waiting to buy 2 packs of my own.

I use the Portico 5012 which is the same preamp as the 5017 and it holds it's own against a 1073 when the EQ on the 1073 is dis-engaged. A very versatile sound with and without the silk switch.

Thanks Middleman. It's arriving tomorrow so im going to put it through it's paces for sure.

Awesome! Enjoy!

I know people have different needs, but I have a couple API preamps, and some other random nice ones, and I reach for the Neve ones 9 out of 10 times. I pretty much only use the API on snare and about half of the electric guitars.

Back