Running Gear Thru Harware All Hype??

Raydio

I would like to know if I was to run a clean vocal track through vintage high end gear (Pultec EQs, Manley Massive Passives, Universal Audio Compressors, etc.) with no settings (no knobs turned); just running the vocal through, would it do anything positive to the quality of the vocal or would you have to actually make some kind of knob tweaks to see results such as the often rumored "warming, fattening, etc." these units offer.

Also, does the same thing apply to software EQs, Compressors, etc?

I don't do this myself, but a really good engineer mentioned doing this with some nice compressor a while back in a Tape-Op article.

Ronan said:
This is often done with transformer based gear. No it is not hype.

What is considered transformer based gear? The reason I asked this question was because there was an arguement in a home studio I visted. The engineer was talking about buying some vintage EQ just to run his signal through, but saying that he just wanted it for the "warmth and fatness" the unit produces. He said he didnt want to touch any knobs on that unit, just run it through. Then the other guys said that it wouldnt do anything for the sound if you didnt tweak a knob.

Back