Rules for making your own commercial?

asi9

I'm not sure which forum to make this in, but I have a question- a bunch of bigger-name local bands are getting together to put together a cool show, and we're considering getting a radio spot for it. The thought went through my head that we might be able to save money and actually do a better job and make it more attention grabbing if we did it ourselves. We have a friend that is a professional voice that would be willing to do it for free. We have decent micage, and decent effects to put on the voice, etc, etc to make it sound really professional.

What things would stand in our way of doing it? These are the only things I can think of:
-Format radio accepts it in.
-Needing to know HOW MUCH compression to use on the final mix (obviously we need to compress the living piss out of it to make it louder).
-It needs to be brief and fit within the exact amount of time.
-A specific way to EQ the mix to make it more effective...

What else do I need to be aware of? It would seem that after mixing actual music and the intricate complex tweaks that requires, mixing a voice and musical snippets with a few effects sounds like it should be a breeze.

I send the stuff I do to them as a .mp3.
I wouldn't worry about compressing the radio will do it themselves, they compress the shit out of everything.
Usually the clips are about 30 sec. this is the limit when the higher rates start.

Well this is how it's here anyway,
Keijo

asi9 said:

What things would stand in our way of doing it? These are the only things I can think of:
-Format radio accepts it in.
-Needing to know HOW MUCH compression to use on the final mix (obviously we need to compress the living piss out of it to make it louder).
-It needs to be brief and fit within the exact amount of time.
-A specific way to EQ the mix to make it more effective...

most stations will still accept 1/4 inch tape, MP3s, CDs, and DAT.

you dont have to compress. And besides if everyone had your attitude every spot on a station would sound "pissed out" and therefore none would stand out above others

needs to be 30 or 60 seconds

EQ flat or a slight "smile" dont do anyting obnoxious

be creative with the content

Back