Royer Mod

0018G

I am rounding up the components to build a tube microphone out of a V67 using the Royer schematic(actually, I have a buddy/electronics tech who will actually wield the soldering iron). Anybody been down this road? Any pitfalls you would care to share? I figure if I end up with a piece of crap, I'm not out much and it should provide a few dollars worth of entertainment if nothing else. Wish me luck!

0018G said:
I am rounding up the components to build a tube microphone out of a V67 using the Royer schematic(actually, I have a buddy/electronics tech who will actually wield the soldering iron). Anybody been down this road? Any pitfalls you would care to share? I figure if I end up with a piece of crap, I'm not out much and it should provide a few dollars worth of entertainment if nothing else. Wish me luck!

I've been down that road...3 TIMES!

It was worth it every trip!

Only thing I would suggest is don't use an MXL 2001. For a little more you can get an M-Audio Nova which has a much better capsule. You will have a clearer sound. The MXL 1" capsule can be a little muddy in a tube circuit unless you are lucky and get one that is tuned well.

Also, Cinemag makes a transformer that is $20 cheaper, and in my opinion, better than the Jensen. It's the CM2840.

Back