Routing RNC with OmniStudio

TheOneTrueMatt

I have an M-Audio OmniStudio and I was planning on buying a DMP3 pre and FMR Audio RNC, but since I've heard the DMP3 wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade from the Omni's pres, I'm thinking about holding off on upgrading my pres and just getting the RNC first.

So with the DMP3 the signal chain would be easy, DMp3->RNC->Omni. So how exactly do I run that w/o an external preamp, as clearly the signal has to go into the pres first?

Use insert cables with the insert jacks on the back of the Omni. These function basically as sends/returns with the RNC. This is how I have things set up with my Omni and RNC and it's good.

Only drawback, unless I am missing something, is that the RNC only operates on stuff coming via the Omni pres. If you use the aux ins, or want to compress during mastering, say, you have to recable. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this, however.

wrenhunter said:

Only drawback, unless I am missing something, is that the RNC only operates on stuff coming via the Omni pres. If you use the aux ins, or want to compress during mastering, say, you have to recable. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this, however.

On the pci version inserts 1 and 2 are for inputs 1 and 2. use the FX Send and FX Return if you wanna use an outbard processor as a send across channels 1-4. I dont how a compressor can be used as a send effect though. when i think send im thinking like a reverb or delay.

PS why do u want the DMP3. I read around here the the Omnistudios pre is already based on it. Is it that you need more than the 2 on the Omni? If so why not get something thats a little different for some variety?

That's exactly why I said I was thinking about not getting the DMP3 'cause I heard it wasn't much better. Both being "based" on DMP2 "technology" alone doesn't convince me the DMP3 isn't better, but if people can confirm there's not a big difference, I won't buy any new preamps for awhile most likely.

I'm not quite to the point where I can afford variety yet. If I buy anything in terms of a preamp, its gotta be some kind of a big improvement in quality. I'm still kind of curious if anyone has actually tried a direct A/B with the DMP3 and omni pres since everyone I've heard say they're similar or the same has said so based primarily on speculation on that they're both "based on DMP2 technology."

Back