Routing panned guitar tracks to FX send?

XeroTalent

I have 3 guitar tracks and one GuitarFX track:

Guitar 1 - Panned Left (NO Master send, send to GuitarFX, Pre-FX)
Guitar 2 - Center (NO Master send, send to GuitarFX, Pre-FX)
Guitar 3 - Panned Right (NO Master send, send to GuitarFX, Pre-FX)
GuitarFX - Center (Master send)

All 3 guitars are using the same FX, so in order to save on processing power by applying the same effect to all 3 tracks, I want to create a 4th track called Guitar FX and send the guitar tracks to this FX track.

The problem I'm having is I'm not sure how to route the guitar tracks keep their panning. When I send all 3 guitar tracks to the FX track, they're all centered, I assume because the GuitarFX track is panned to Center.

What should my routing be to achieve this?

Thanks for your help!

Pre-FX send is also Pre-fader and pan. At that point the track has whatever panning as the Item/Take. A mono Item/Take will be mono up the center unless you adjust the Item/Take pan. Don't do that.

Several options:
1) Make the sends Post-Fader. Are there effects on the tracks which you don't want sent to GuitarFX? Do you need drastically different relative levels at the GuitarFX bus? Are they being sent somewhere else also, or why is Master/Parent send off?

2) Probably easier to just make GuitarFX into a folder by dragging the three guitars under it. Re-enable the Master/Parent send on the guitars and just use the fader to mix through the FX.

3) The sends have their own pan sliders in the I/O window.

'Course, none of the works if the any of the effects are mono output. Things get a bit more complicated then, but it's still doable.

2) Probably easier to just make GuitarFX into a folder by dragging the three guitars under it. Re-enable the Master/Parent send on the guitars and just use the fader to mix through the FX.

AH I never thought of this!

So the fader on the GuitarFX channel will control the output of the three guitar channels combined (with FX), and I can control the output and panning of the individual guitars on the guitar track faders... correct? The GuitarFX being center won't override the panning on the child tracks?

I don't know what effects you're inserting on the GuitarFX track, but as long as they all work in stereo you should be good. The only way to really find out is to try it. Start with just one of the guitar tracks (mute the others or whatever), and pan that track back and forth while leaving the GuitarFX track centered. Does it respond as you would expect?

Another way you could do it to save on CPU etc would be to render the fx'd tracks to stems and pan them accordingly. Personally I use the group folder route mentioned above.

Back