Rough Mix Southern Rock Ballad

Axe4Yahweh

This is different than my standard Blues/Rock Fare. No vox yet. Still working on the Last Verse. The Lead will prolly be redone. I did it right after I got up today and I was still half asleep. LOL

The name of the Tune is Red Horse but right now I'm callin it RoughMixRH. Give it a listen please and let me know whacha think.

RoughMixRH @

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1526/singles.shtml

Thanks!

CR ><>

BTW,

That's Sharon Payne, my sidekick from Cross Omega on Drums and a good friend, John Yates on Bass.

Last edited:
Sounds good...
Wood block is a little to forward in the mix....
Kick sounds a tad muddy but, the snare and cymbals sound sureal bright....
lead guit is really cool...great riffs.......comes in pretty late though.....gotta hear the vox I suppose...
Bass riffs are super cool and sit good in the mix..

I dig the music man....very cool..
Take it easy,
Joe

nice one there ax, great guitar chops but i agree it seems to come in a bit late. Maybe after you lay the vocals it won't seem that way though...i dunno:D . Good tune man it does have a southern bite.

Axe,
Nice bed for the future vocals.
You have some timing issues that should be addressed, however. It doesn't all settle in until :47. The drum fills @ 2:11 / 2:21 / 3:14 / and 4:20 are all innacurate. ( Ya, I know....all Ralph's gotta do is hit the ' quantize to 16ths button'.)
Also there's an Ab in the bass part that should a G at 3:07. Cut and paste from 3:17 where it's played correctly is a quick fix for that one.
I don't know of any quick fix for that drum part without knowing your editing tools though. I would re-record them with a click track running through the drummers phones.
I look forward to hearing it later in it's development.

peace,
flat-9

nice bed, musically. The drums sound distant and they also sound squeezed. The rhy gtr sounds ok, but the tone is kinda uninteresting. Spicing up the sound, rather than a simple double might be a ticket. The ld gtr seems a tad off to the left.....intentional? (or am I leaning!!). I'm not to sure on some of those drum fills either.

I'll be interested in hearing your vocals on top of this. Don't forget to slip in the ld gtr in between too!

David said:
nice one there ax, great guitar chops but i agree it seems to come in a bit late. Maybe after you lay the vocals it won't seem that way though...i dunno:D . Good tune man it does have a southern bite.
Thanks for the listen and comments David. Downloading that 6.7 Meg tune of your's now as a matter of fact. SLOW on 56K. LOL

Glad ya enjoyed the listen. I hope it has that has that Southun bite to it. I wrote the music to it 77 while in the midst of playing alot of Skynyrd, 38 Special, and Molly Hatchet. LOL

Thanks again!

CR ><>

flat-9 said:
Axe,
Nice bed for the future vocals.
You have some timing issues that should be addressed, however. It doesn't all settle in until :47. The drum fills @ 2:11 / 2:21 / 3:14 / and 4:20 are all innacurate. ( Ya, I know....all Ralph's gotta do is hit the ' quantize to 16ths button'.)
Also there's an Ab in the bass part that should a G at 3:07. Cut and paste from 3:17 where it's played correctly is a quick fix for that one.
I don't know of any quick fix for that drum part without knowing your editing tools though. I would re-record them with a click track running through the drummers phones.
I look forward to hearing it later in it's development.

peace,
flat-9
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess sooner or later we will have to record it again. The Drums, Bass, and the main Rythymn Geetar was originally recorded on my Tascam 414 MKII Cassette PortaStudio last May. It was recorded Live. LOL. I could only transfer two Tracks to puter off of it so I panned the Git hard Left and mixed the Drums and Bass together and panned them hard Right to get the three tracks onto N-Track last night. When I got up today, I laid down the lead track. No cutting and pasting for this version. I think that the whole concept will make alot more sense once the Vox is tracked.

My editing tools? The wave editor on PowerTracks 8. Don't have anything fancy YET. :D

Thanks for all the input, Bro!

CR ><>

Mix;

Thanks for visiting my humble tune Bro! I'll be adding another Rythymn Geetar with a different sound to the mix. That was one of the plans. I know it sounds kinda Bland. The Lead is actually Doubled. One is Straight up at 0 and the other is Panned hard Left. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again!

CR ><>

smooth idea ya got there. yo to some of the stuff they already mentioned. I would go ahead and finish while ya got it that close, wash it, wax it, and stand and take a good listen and look. Then afterwards you can recut it if ya want without having to imagine anything, it`ll all be right there for you.

Toki;

Thanks for the Listen and especially the encouragement Bro! I wouldn't have pursued this if I didn't think that I could make it live with the help of you guys. You know me and lost causes by now. LOL ;)

CR ><>

Last edited:
Well, you've got a lot of good feedback on things that I won't rehash, but one thing bothered me. In the beginning part of the mix, either the guitar or the woodblock is out of time. Gotta fix that for sure. Its hard to elaborate on a mix for me until I hear the vocals. SO, I'll come back as you post the next version of this. Sounds like you have a good start and I like the whole southern rock thing too!

Drums sound too compressed , and I thought I could hear some hiss, but I see you were recording to cassette, so you probably can't change that. Whether you decide to retrack or not, I'd finish it up cause it's a good tune. Liked the ending!

Twist

Back