Roto-Toms???

brandonkrause said:
Neil Peart has some nice roto fills and solo's with roto's...
I believe they are concert toms!
I used to play a 5 piece with roto's (3)
so now with six toms I split them up because they couldn't tune to the tom's.
I'm working on Quint's now :D

Man, I LOVE Roto Toms.

I have an entire set of the original Chrome ones. I was lucky enough to find them - BRAND NEW - STILL IN THE BOXES!

Talk about happy!

I played Roto toms back in the early 80's.

If you want to know what they sound like - listen to Van Halen's 1984 CD.

Also, listen to "Vandenberg" by Adrian Vandenberg. His drummer, Jos Zoomer (incredible drummer/btw) used an all roto tom double bass kit back in the early 80's. He and Terry Bozzio were my inspirations to go with Roto Toms back them.

I've been using regular toms for the last 15 years, but 3 years ago I decided to purchase a full set of roto toms, and I switch back and forth, using the 7 rototoms as rack mounted toms, and I still use my 18" and 20" floor toms. One of the things that I DO like about them, is the fact that when I use them - I stand out big time... common audience members remember it.

The drums kind of have an "electronic" sound to them.

Bill Bruford used to use them when he was with Yes.
They have a distinctive sound, and fit in the shell-less drums category
like the old Headset, and now, Arbiter Flats(although Flats do have a very
slight shell around 1" deep).
I have used custom shell-less toms(10",12") for at least ten years, even
in live outdoor gigs, and love them.

Tim Brown said:
Vandenberg. His drummer, Jos Zoomer (incredible drummer/btw) used an all roto tom double bass kit

Oh man, I can still see the pic of Joe Zoomer on the back of the first VBerg album.

That brought a smile to my face.

6gun said:
Oh man, I can still see the pic of Joe Zoomer on the back of the first VBerg album.

That brought a smile to my face.
Jos Zoomer on Roto toms and tuning:How did he tune the drums in the studio and how does he do it in general?

Jos Zoomer said:
I don't have to tape anything in a studio because I use Roto-toms. Normally you'd have a topskin and bottomskin. Then you'd have to tune 2 skins. A Roto just has one skin. I don't have a method really. I tune the drums the way I like it. It's just listening.

Yeah, Bruford did us the Rotos heavily, but I don't believe with Yes. Check out his excellent prog-rock album (no vocals) with guitar-wiz Allan Holdsworth: "One of a Kind" by Bruford. He uses the Rotos heavily on it, and with great effect. His fills punch right through the speakers. I went out and bought some Rotos immediately after hearing the killer drums on this album.

Best,

J.

Back