Rothwood who'da thunk?

I'll expound upon my ignorance of the boys...

I knew Eddie via my bud who got me into keys..I've posted a picture where he and Eddie are in a church with Kenny on piano and Eddie with an acoustic playing for a friends wedding a few years before they were signed. All I can say is if you were his friend he could be pretty cool to you, not, or piss him off and an asshole he could be. He was not an angel that's for sure..who is? The old instant asshole , just add alcohol thing applies. A cunning and baffling disease indeed. He had health issues long before the public knew.

Roth was always the businessman, level headed and was just a bit more eloquent / comfortable speaking in front of a camera.

Mike Anthony is a rock solid cool cat, never got a big head and never forgot where he came from. Totally agree he's a great bass player and definitely had killer pipes that added to the music they made.... would he have ever made it big had he not happened to end up as the bass player in the band...highly unlikely....as for Eddie, Alex and Dave their odds IMO were a lot greater to make it big with or without them being in a band together. That they were lucky enough to stumble together and doing what they did allowed us to have some kick ass rock songs that are iconic and classify as a super group on the bar with Zep and the likes.

On Sammy I was never a big fan and what VH put out with him is not aging IMO on the same level as what they did in the beginning. That said, I got to see him him on the Sam and Dave tour and all I can say is he is a very fun entertainer who kicks some rock butt and has a blast doing it...He killed it. I was a bit saddened to see the older David Lee Roth trying to be the young David Lee Roth...a 50+ year old man is not a late 20's year old rocker ...He was trying to hold onto that persona and it just didn't work.....

Well that's my two cents on the topic...with 10 more bucks you might be able to buy a cup of coffee at a 7-11 these days..

On Sammy I was never a big fan and what VH put out with him is not aging IMO on the same level as what they did in the beginning. That said, I got to see him him on the Sam and Dave tour and all I can say is he is a very fun entertainer who kicks some rock butt and has a blast doing it...He killed it. I was a bit saddened to see the older David Lee Roth trying to be the young David Lee Roth...a 50+ year old man is not a late 20's year old rocker ...He was trying to hold onto that persona and it just didn't work.....
I give Sammy credit since he was already doing well in the business before VH. I think his work with Montrose, Rock the Nation, was to this day, killer. What he did with VH, well I thought it was fine work, but it was a different direction and the two were not to be compared (IMO).

Reactions: TAE
I give Sammy credit since he was already doing well in the business before VH. I think his work with Montrose, Rock the Nation, was to this day, killer. What he did with VH, well I thought it was fine work, but it was a different direction and the two were not to be compared (IMO).
Totally agree with you...Sammy in of himself "made it" and what he did on his own ...again IMO was better than what he did with VH. He was never on the level off greatness or success as the original VH but I can't drive 55 still plays in my head....

I think the whole album is killer, but here is a good example. Not as popular as VH, but as good, but I think the album holds its own.

In the interview he seemed like a jerk, my fears were realized in that I discovered I didn't like him.
Agree entirely with this.

I'd never seen or heard him speak before I heard that now popular phone interview which showed up online in the early days of the interwebs. I was instantly struck by his arrogance and ego- a huge turnoff for me.

Subsequent interviews over the years did not improve my opinion much, if at all.

Still does not diminish my opinion of him as a groundbreaking, game-changing musician and guitar icon who rocked my universe - and still does (I have a favorites "mixed tape" CD in my F150 player now).

I saw Sammy (the red rocker) opening for someone a few years before I Can't Drive, put on a good show, no holds barred wild man climbing the stacks. Fast forward the next time I saw him was with VH. The one thing that sticks in my mind that kind of ruined it was the trashing of David Lee. Talking shit trashing the guy..."We're not going to tune down like what was done for the other guy, I can hit the notes!" Something like, "If you have a baby and it's a boy, name it Eddie. If it's a girl, name it David Lee!" It was just unnecessary. Mean spirited. Like the guy or not, Roth was part of the reason for VH's success. I saw them live with David Lee, one of the best frontman I have ever experienced. And it was an experience, a fun time rock n roll party.

Roth was one of the best front men, no question there. A good front man is very important.

This one..
Good tune, Unchained, When Roth comes off the drum riser and bounces across the stage, badass. Epic, especially when you're standing on the floor about 5 rows back from the stage.

Of course he misses his cue and Eddie has to run through the lead up to the first verse again. Not necessarily a train wreck, but the kind of thing that can piss the guitarist(and band) off. :ROFLMAO:

Similar thing?...I remember a band I was in sort of an important gig I went into the lead break too soon after the first verse(edit: chorus). Stepped right up front like I owned the joint. Oops. Quickly corrected myself and the rest of the guys didn't miss a beat going into the verse. Show business, shit happens. You recover and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: TAE
This one..
Good tune, Unchained, When Roth comes off the drum riser and bounces across the stage, badass. Epic, especially when you're standing on the floor about 5 rows back from the stage.

Of course he misses his cue and Eddie has to run through the lead up to the first verse again. Not necessarily a train wreck, but the kind of thing that can piss the guitarist(and band) off. :ROFLMAO:

Similar thing?...I remember a band I was in sort of an important gig I went into the lead break too soon after the first verse(edit: chorus). Stepped right up front like I owned the joint. Oops. Quickly corrected myself and the rest of the guys didn't miss a beat going into the verse. Show business, shit happens. You recover and move on.

Maybe failed to mention...it was that exact same song, Unchained!

It happens.

Another, in a band '80 or so the drumber and I had a bit of a tiff between sets. Bummer because I really respected the guy, now deceased...ill take the hit it was probably my fault. Next set, the heat was still on, brewing, had a Zeppelin cover, Good Times Bad Times. I glance over at the setlist, and then , Mberw! Mberw! Oh fux, I immediately realized what I had done. The song absolutely requires the drummer to count it off. I immediately sort of glance over my shoulder trying to...trying to...I'm sorry!...just roll with it maybe we can...I'm sorry! I mean I had totally dropped it into his lap to resolve, but I was already committed...Mberw! Mberw! for a second time. What have I done?!! I mean I've been involved with some train wrecks, who hasn't, but that sticks out because it appeared that I did it intentionally. Of course I did not, wouldn't, it was just a hothead moment that worked it's way onstage. But never should. Never take personal shit onstage.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Reactions: RFR
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
The devils dandruff indeed......when it comes to regrets in my life that shit is in the top 3. Grateful I was able to get out when I did....dodged a deadly bullet on that one.

Man I hate train wrecks and I've been the conductor of a few times recently. "Senior moment's" suck.

Back in the day we strived for perfection . The founder of the band I was in was not to fun when one of us screwed up. That look of you're going to die was not something you ever wanted to see...shit happens, clams happen the show goes on.

Back