Rothwood who'da thunk?

TAE

All you have is now
Stumbled upon this this morning...I knew David casually back in the day when we were all doing back yard parties and such and knew his Dad kind of helped them get along but I had no idea...
Wowser ! I was born in Pasadena but raised in Covina which is @ 10 miles east but the $$$$ disparity in those 10 miles is HUGE. South Pasadena borders the city of San Marino that for years was the richest city per capita in the U.S.

Crazy life styles of the rich and famous

Last edited:
Ahh. It's all starting to make sense now. Money.🤑
I actually know someone whose father was a bigwig at a major label. She was gorgeous and had immense talent. She should have gone places, and went nowhere. Even with the best contacts and tons of cash, you don't always succeed. While I can't stand Van Halen, they were a talented group.

Reactions: TAE
I actually know someone whose father was a bigwig at a major label. She was gorgeous and had immense talent. She should have gone places, and went nowhere. Even with the best contacts and tons of cash, you don't always succeed.
This is very true but your odds are greatly increased when you have influential connections or some big money to smooth the way in through the door. Big studios, pro producers and plenty of $$$$ for recording time etc.

This is very true but your odds are greatly increased when you have influential connections or some big money to smooth the way in through the door. Big studios, pro producers and plenty of $$$$ for recording time etc.
Absolutely.

I did have another friend who had two millionaire backers and still failed. He was talented. I liked his material. He was a difficult person to get along with. Which I think was more his downfall than talent.

Money and influence is always a major plus. Van Halen probably would have made it anyway. Eddie was a phenomanel guitarist. Roth was a great personality and voice. I hated them both. They just weren't my taste.
Ouch. What's not to like? :-)
I would never deny the talent. I just didn't like anything about them. Their look, sound, songs. I hated Eddie's solos. Excellent guitarist. To say otherwise would be insane. He has a very distinct sound that I just didn't appreciate. I also don't like Angus Young or AC/DC. I hate Metallica. My heavy rock days died with Zeppelin, Sabbath, Cooper. I really just like original metal. It was new, fresh and ugly as sin. Paranoid is still one of my favorite albums.

I think the early metal wasn't really metal, I mean the names, Cooper, Zep, Sabbath, Purple, while they played hard rock, they also knew how to be creative and dynamic. After those guys, I started listening to more music like that but by Floyd, Genesis, Gabriel, Supertramp, Yes. Those bands seemed to have kept pushing that direction (IMO). The composing, mixing, and production by those groups just seemed to have taken it to the next level for me. Even Elton in his early years was a top notch rocker. Then he wasn't.

Reactions: TAE
I am a music whore...I love it all but some more than others.

The thread was about Dave's dad and I kind of tripped out about his ( unbeknownst to me) acting career and his passion for kick ass real estate renovations. What an amazing dude.

I understand different strokes for different folks but VH1 and Paranoid IMO are both iconic rock albums that surely capture the raw LA rock scene of the late 70's early 80's . Grateful that I got to be a part of it all while punk and new wave were pushing their way in.

1695216405408.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Killer, Billion Dollar Babies, Schools Out, Love it to Death. All great albums. I saw his Killer show in a 1200 seat theater from about the 5th or 6th row. It was.... KILLER!
Alice Cooper welcome to my nightmare show in Vancouver in the very late seventies was an eye opener for me. The music was awesome but the theatrical performance was unbelievable. The stage was basically a huge screen made out of ribbons and they would project dancers on that, then the real dancers popped out through the screen and it was live. Very well done.
Guy

Maybe off topic and better suited for a different thread, personality wise/speaking.....

I distinctly remember many many moons ago watching pretty sure the teevee, "coming up next an interview with David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen!", and while in part interested also thinking, damn, I don't know if I want to see this. And I was right. I always dug Eddie's personality onstage and in photos. No grimacing "guitar face", always smiling, seemed like he was having fun. In the interview he seemed like a jerk, my fears were realized in that I discovered I didn't like him. Roth was alright, playing the part, fun rock & roller. But a little bit of Roth goes a long long way. Still, onstage, offstage, he was still playing the part, the role of a good time party rock & roller. The reason I anticipated regret watching the interview was I had already seen an interview with Jimmy Page & Robert Plant. One of all time guitar heroes if not my all time, I kind of discovered I didn't really care for Jimmy Page. Plant was alright, seemed maybe an interesting guy with a gentle spirit.

Perhaps in the end chalk it up to overexposure. I could see what was coming, I preferred it when you bought the album, saw what photos that were made available, or photos in fan type rock magazines, even the bits of quoted material, you in a sense had artistic license to create or see those guys as who you envisioned them to be. The (M) teevee and the information age went and ruint it.

It's similar with actors and movies. Overexposure, I can't unsee them as who they really are, I don't believe them in a role. Putting aside likeability, its a major distraction. Hey look, it's Robert Dinero, John Travolta, Brad Pitt. Etc etc. Then again some musicians/actors bring the goods and are able to rise above the distraction, sometimes.

Modern day problems. On topic, I suppose it is ironic that there are those who invest or throw sizable wealth towards exposure for some artists to gain fame and/or to see a return on their investment.

Alice Cooper welcome to my nightmare show in Vancouver in the very late seventies was an eye opener for me. The music was awesome but the theatrical performance was unbelievable. The stage was basically a huge screen made out of ribbons and they would project dancers on that, then the real dancers popped out through the screen and it was live. Very well done.
Guy
Oh yeah. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter. The Best.

I had the early VH albums. When my daughter was about a year old and had one of those kiddie infections, I would sit in my recliner with her laying on my chest. I could play VH2 and she was drift off to sleep. If she got chilled, I would throw the blanket on her. If her fever popped, the blanket would come off. When the album was over, I would flip it over and she would go back to sleep.

When she got a little older, her favorite song at the time was "Ice Cream Man".

On record, David was fine for a singer, but I heard a broadcast of one of their concerts (maybe the old King Biscuit Flower Hour), and his vocals were awful. Of course those were the days before autotune, so it went out over the air like that.

Not defending, but screaming like that 2-3 times a week for a few years has to take its toll on the ol' vocal cords.

Perhaps in the end chalk it up to overexposure. I could see what was coming, I preferred it when you bought the album, saw what photos that were made available, or photos in fan type rock magazines, even the bits of quoted material, you in a sense had artistic license to create or see those guys as who you envisioned them to be. The (M) teevee and the information age went and ruint it.

It's similar with actors and movies. Overexposure, I can't unsee them as who they really are, I don't believe them in a role. Putting aside likeability, its a major distraction. Hey look, it's Robert Dinero, John Travolta, Brad Pitt. Etc etc. Then again some musicians/actors bring the goods and are able to rise above the distraction, sometimes.
My fantasy world of believing everything as presented on the surface was shattered the day I went to Disneyland, June 1967 with a follow-up tour of Universal Studios. Took all the fun out of watching movies and TV. Getting a reality check at an early age was probably a good thing, though. Good. . . but not fun.

Maybe off topic and better suited for a different thread, personality wise/speaking.....

I distinctly remember many many moons ago watching pretty sure the teevee, "coming up next an interview with David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen!", and while in part interested also thinking, damn, I don't know if I want to see this. And I was right. I always dug Eddie's personality onstage and in photos. No grimacing "guitar face", always smiling, seemed like he was having fun. In the interview he seemed like a jerk, my fears were realized in that I discovered I didn't like him. Roth was alright, playing the part, fun rock & roller. But a little bit of Roth goes a long long way. Still, onstage, offstage, he was still playing the part, the role of a good time party rock & roller. The reason I anticipated regret watching the interview was I had already seen an interview with Jimmy Page & Robert Plant. One of all time guitar heroes if not my all time, I kind of discovered I didn't really care for Jimmy Page. Plant was alright, seemed maybe an interesting guy with a gentle spirit.

Modern day problems. On topic, I suppose it is ironic that there are those who invest or throw sizable wealth towards exposure for some artists to gain fame and/or to see a return on their investment.
Seems I recall reading something a long while ago about Eddy really hating how Roth was in interviews. I don't think Dave is the type to really be bothered about what others think of him, and don't think he hated Eddy as much as Eddy seemed to hate him. Eddy was definitely a pioneer, and I love the early stuff, but he was also an alcoholic, and alcoholics have a way of coming across as assholes even if that wasn't what they intended. I will never understand how anyone can be in a band with a person that they hate, or how it sometimes results in great music. I was never a fan of the direction they took with Sammy, but when Eddy started talking shit about him, and claiming that Michael Anthony didn't contribute those killer backing vocals that was a huge part of their sound, I was like, "Drunk or not, that's bullshit, and you are a fucking jerk". I don't know Sammy personally, but he seems to be one of the nicest cats in the biz. One of those guys that likes everyone, and everyone likes him, and Michael Anthony can sing like a bird. When you can't get along with that many people, the problem is usually not the other people. Yep, things were much better before MTV came along and started exposing us to the personal lives of the bands we like. Turns out it is a lot more fun to imagine what they are like, than to actually know what they are like

Back