Ross RM 9L/B

Wannaplay

I have one of these mics. It's a dynamic, uni-directional mic that looks similar to an SM58. My question is this: Is this a good quality mic compared to the SM58? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the Ross 9B/L was made for us by Sennheiser, and it was a pretty decent mic. Unscrew the ball, and take a look at the capsule. I think it says Sennheiser on there somewhere.

Thanks for the reply Harvey. I just checked the capsule but there are no markings anywhere inside. When I get my computer setup to record I will compare it to the SM57 that I have. BTW, which mic would you prefer for micing the acoustic guitar--a Marshall 603 or the Studio Projects B1? Should I get 2? Thanks again.

Either mic should do an excellent job of recording an acoustic guitar, but it's still going to be most dependent on the specific guitar, and the mic placement.

get both

you'll find that you can use them for a wide variety of things. i recorded my martin d15 this weekend (with someone else playing) using a pair of 603's in close and the B1 about 4ft away. it sounded HUGE. i wish i could get that kinda sound when i'm recording myself, but i'd need a clone to tweak everything while playing. ;-)

i've also used the 603's as overheads for my drums and as "room mics" while recording my band's practices--both with nice results.

The B1 has seen time as a snare mic (again, sounded quite nice and got plenty of the hihat sizzle, but not too much), and also as a guitar cabinet mic. In fact, the b1 turned out such a nice sound on that fender tweed blues junior that i'm gonna pick up another one so i can leave it on there permanently. talk about a "sleeper" application for that mic. i've always used 57/58's for cabs.....but the detail off the b1 was far superior.

needless to say, if you get a pair of 603's and a pair of B1's, you'll have a pretty strong starting toolbox. hell, even one of each will increase the quality of your recordings considerably--neither of them are "one trick ponies", and you'll be happy with both.

ymmv,
wade

Back