Room Treatment

Alex W

OK, I'm finally (finally, finally, finally...) nearing completion on my live rehearsal/recording/whatever room that I originally thought I might finish in March. Oh well, it's been fun. Thanks to all who have provided input up to this point.

In any case I'm starting to consider wall treatments for what I've ended up with. Attached is a rough layout of the room and major features along with some initial ideas on treatments. This will primarily be a live rehearsal/recording room, although I'll probably do some mixing in here as well for lack of a better space.

All interior studio walls are wood frame construction with 3-in minerwool in the cavities and two layers of drywall attached to resilient channel (second 1/2-in face layer glued to 5/8-in base layer). The ceiling is slightly pitched to the center--roughly 8-ft high at the edge and 9.5 in the middle. The floor will consist of carpet on a pad attached to the lower concrete slab. Drums will be elevated on a roughly 8-in tall timber framed riser. Figure two Marshall stacks, 300W GK bass, and a couple of dudes screaming into a PA pegged to rise above the din.

My primary focus is on removing low-to-mid frequency mud while retaining a live, tight sound. I'm currently thinking of treating two of the walls as shown and leaving the ceiling untreated. Is this an ok start? I figure I can continue to tweak things once we try it out.

Alex

Attachments

• studio plan.gif
    studio plan.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 121
Looking good Alex - your ceiling will create a problem as it's only at around 6 degrees. In my experience you will get flutter echos between floor and ceiling. I'd line the whole ceiling with rigid fibreglass as it sounds like your going to get loud!! in that room ;);)

cheers
John

Back