Room treatment or portable vocal booth ?

lasagne

I fancy Fancy
Hi

I've got a tiny room in which to record and mix - about 11 feet square with 7' 6" ceilings.

I've got low end audio gear (firebox, AT3035, ,SP B1, BX5's for monitoring) and record vocals, elec and acoustic guitar, di the bass, use ezdrummer and midi for keys.

The floor is carpeted. Having read about a million times people saying that the best investment is room treatment, I'm starting to believe that the best investment may be room treatment.

As the title says, if I was going to spend around $400, would you recommend room treatment or one of Realtraps portable vocal booths. I think that it is my vocals that suffer most from my recording environment, and the booth has the advantage of not needing me to do any work - just set it up.

I'd appreciate any input.

i'd second the room treatment. the portable vox booth isn't going to help you with any live instruments or mixing. if you use that budget to buy some rigid fiberglass, cloth, fire retardent, and build yourself a dozen absorbers and place them across the corners (wall-ceiling and wall-floor are corners too) and put up some on the walls and ceiling to create a balance room, you'll find everything will sound better. i'd go so far to recommend putting a 4'x8' piece of 1" MDF and 3/4" plywood on the carpet to restore some of the floor reflections. acoustic guitar will sound better.

I'll third the room treatments.
A lot more versatile, and helps in more aspects of your recording and MIXING than a booth.

would you recommend room treatment or one of Realtraps portable vocal booths.

Even though I own RealTraps and sell that product, I'll be the 4th to suggest room treatment. Our PVB is meant for people who cannot afford to treat their whole room, or live in an apartment or whatever that keeps them from doing it correctly. The PVB is fabulous for what it does! But a well-treated room is better still. Of course, we can help you treat your room too. :D

--Ethan

Thanks for all your suggestions guys - it seems pretty clear what I need to concentrate on.

And I was hoping you would turn up Ethan :)

Back