Room Treatment Assistance Preese!

khoff

Ok so I need a few opinions on this if possible. I'm treating my room acoustically with some foam, but Im concerned about my desk placement and the actual room.

Its a very rectangle room, I believe the dimensions are 19x14. 3 doors, entrance, closet and bathroom. 2 windows both on the same wall.

Heres a link to the layou, Floorplanner - Studio Room

My question is, before treating my room, should I consider re positioning my desk? Or is it good?

Go long side...opposite the bed, or better yet, put the desk where the bed is and move the bed on the other side, since it looks like you have some doors/windows at the other end.

If you haven't already purchased a ton of foam...DON'T.
Buy instead a few broadband traps that focus on the low end and the entire frequency spectrum. The foam will just take out the high end, and while the room may seem "good" to you because it will sound dead/dry, it will mess up your audio.

If anything, after the broadband...you might spot some of the foam on the ceiling and along the walls to further reduce the any flutter echo...but the broadband will do most of the work.

Broadband traps = Bass traps, or whats commonly known as that? I don't have any bass traps, but plan on getting some very soon. I really only have enough to deaden the 2 spots of early reflections in my control/bedroom and then use the rest for my closet (AKA Vocal booth) and for a few spots on the ceiling. The house wasn't built very well, and I had to put carpet tile on top of the previous hard tile, so the acoustics aren't generally great to begin with. I want only a somewhat dead room, just to drown out some of the reverberation and flutter (which isn't very bad). So I don't plan on putting too much foam in the room, do you think that would be fine?

Also what is the downside of having my desk where it is located now? In my mind, the elongated walls to my left and right act as like vaulted/high ceilings, but I could be very wrong of course.

When you fire audio down the short side...it reflects back that much sooner...then back again...then back again...etc.

You can try some acoustic ceiling tile. I've used the 2'x4' that's meant for hanging on frames, but there are are other kinds (Home Depot) and use that in just a few spots on the ceiling, a sheet here and there...works great for flutter echo, and IMO is more bang-for-buck than foam. You can trim it out with some wood molding if you want a nice look. It will stick to the sheet-rock with silicone adhesive. If you get the 2'x2' tiles, they are even easier than the 2'x4'.

Also...don't be focused on *dead*...or a small cramped/dead "vocal booth" in the closet. Take care of your room in some key spots, and then put that mic in the open room and sing down the long side. You don't want it "dead".

Yeah I guess thats something I should do then. And I agree, I will probably end up doing that cause like I said I didn't buy much foam, It was on sale at my guitar center nearby, I think someone returned the package. But I saved about $100 in reference to buying each piece itself, maybe somewhere around $70 considering quantity discounts. Also I have a large closet, its just the corners that flutter really bad and I need the treatment there. My clothing deadens it slightly but its no quieter than a library for example. Thanks for the opinions, I'm probably gonna go re arrange my room now haha.

I made these 2 plans as well.

Floorplanner - Studio Room

Floorplanner - Studio Room

Back