Room question

RyanHubris

I'm going to be recording my friend on acoustic, and was wondering if theres any cheap things I can do to improve room sound. Anything along the lines of blankets, sleeping bags, etc. Its a small almost square room. Thanks.

RyanHubris said:
I'm going to be recording my friend on acoustic, and was wondering if theres any cheap things I can do to improve room sound. Anything along the lines of blankets, sleeping bags, etc. Its a small almost square room. Thanks.

Yes, there is, but do you have to use that room? Can you find a bigger, non-square room?

mshilarious said:
Yes, there is, but do you have to use that room? Can you find a bigger, non-square room?
Umm, basically yes because of my computer, and the project is not important enough to me to move somewhere else. Now that I think about it its not really square, it has an open closet and an inlet where the door is.

Just lookin for a few diy tips. If its not worth the effort just lemme know :)

If it's worth the effort ..... that only you can answer.
My suggestion would be to experiment with anything and everything you have access to. Use blankets, pillows, sleeping bags even the mattress up against the wall.
Get some long mic cables ... have him play in other rooms. See how it sounds.
Might get a good reverb from the bathroom.
What kind of car you got?
Serious .... stick him in the back seat and throw a mic in there.
Ain't nothin right .... Ain't nothin wrong ... it's all about how it sounds and if it sounds good for the application.
Experiment and have fun with it. :cool:

crankz1 said:
If it's worth the effort ..... that only you can answer.
My suggestion would be to experiment with anything and everything you have access to. Use blankets, pillows, sleeping bags even the mattress up against the wall.
Get some long mic cables ... have him play in other rooms. See how it sounds.
Might get a good reverb from the bathroom.
What kind of car you got?
Serious .... stick him in the back seat and throw a mic in there.
Ain't nothin right .... Ain't nothin wrong ... it's all about how it sounds and if it sounds good for the application.
Experiment and have fun with it. :cool:
Ok, so as a starting point I should put some pillows, etc. in the corners and along the walls?

Basically I'd say if it sounds too hollow, pad it; if it's to muffled errect a flat surface. Those are the simple things, a few other things to consider are mic placement in relationship to both the instrument and to the room, remember a few inches can and will make a difference. There are so many variables to consider so you have to figure out how you (or your friend) want it to sound like then experiment with whatever you have to find the way to achieve that sound. Small rooms are great for isolating voice but can be a real pain for capturing the sound of an instrument, anyway good luck and with a bit of patience you can get the sound you are looking for.

Back