Room peaks/dips...

vaultstudio

I downloaded the test tones from Ethan's site and spent some time yesterday taking measurements of my REALLY small project studio (7.5H x 8W x 11L). After graphing the results, I found that my issues were a narrow dip (6dB) centered at ~115Hz immediately (+16dB!!!) followed by a little bit wider peak centered at ~150Hz. I would think that the dip @ 115 would be more detrimental to my mixes since I'm sure I overcompensate in that area. I threw a parametric across my main buss and messed around with notching at 150, and it really didn't seem that noticeable. Current room treatment is 2 LENRD's in each of 3 corners (the fourth has a door) and 2" Auralex for my RFZ.

So my question... do I attack the bump @ 150, more bass trapping to smooth things out in general, scrap all my treatments and buy RealTraps:), or understand the room issues while mixing. I'm on a somewhat limited budget as I have this terrible addiction to buying new gear....

TIY
Bill

vaultstudio said:
I downloaded the test tones from Ethan's site and spent some time yesterday taking measurements of my REALLY small project studio (7.5H x 8W x 11L). After graphing the results, I found that my issues were a narrow dip (6dB) centered at ~115Hz immediately (+16dB!!!) followed by a little bit wider peak centered at ~150Hz. I would think that the dip @ 115 would be more detrimental to my mixes since I'm sure I overcompensate in that area. I threw a parametric across my main buss and messed around with notching at 150, and it really didn't seem that noticeable. Current room treatment is 2 LENRD's in each of 3 corners (the fourth has a door) and 2" Auralex for my RFZ.

So my question... do I attack the bump @ 150, more bass trapping to smooth things out in general, scrap all my treatments and buy RealTraps:), or understand the room issues while mixing.

Bill,

Attacking the bump will also attack the dip........

So the answer is that you need more LF treatment......... what is the situation with your wall ceiling corners - could you place treatments there?

(Remember - a corner is a corner - bass builds up in all of them - and greatest in the trihederal corners)

Rod

> do I attack the bump @ 150, more bass trapping to smooth things out in general, scrap all my treatments and buy RealTraps:), or understand the room issues while mixing. I'm on a somewhat limited budget as I have this terrible addiction to buying new gear.... <

RealTraps is gear! And it will satisfy your addiction as well as getting a new mike pre or compressor. :D

As Rod explained, the very same bass trapping that improves nulls also improves peaks. It also reduce modal ringing, which is just as damaging. You can't measure ringing with the test tones from our site - you need more sophisticated software like ETF - but ringing is still a big factor.

--Ethan

Bill,
According to my calculations, your boost around 150 is caused by two standing waves (axial modes 151 & 154hz) generated by a height vs length conflict. Calculations are not always right but try putting some bass absorption in those 2 upper wall-ceiling corners.
Mike

Or just move your seat so you're not in the length position. The only reason I caveat this is that if you were in a really bad place, I'd expect some additional and deeper nulls and peaks.

Where are you sitting?

Bryan

I'm set up in one end of the room so my monitors fire lengthwise... not jammed up against the wall, though... I am a little bit back into the room. There was a formula I used for where I should be sitting, but for the life of me I just don't remember what it was.

Now that I think about it, I may have used that program that plots everything out in a neat graph and shows where peaks/nulls would be and adjusted my seating accordingly.

bpape said:
Or just move your seat so you're not in the length position. The only reason I caveat this is that if you were in a really bad place, I'd expect some additional and deeper nulls and peaks.

Where are you sitting?

Bryan

Back