Room noise

salty1

My home studio isn't exactly treated for perfect sound, but when I speak or sing into my mic i like what i hear in the headphones (acoustically speaking). However, when i record i get irritating unwanted reverb on the recording. I'm recording in logic and i've run tests with no plugins on the recording channel or the output. Any idea what i might be doing wrong.?

Last edited:
Can you post some examples?

Without listening, the obvious solution is to build a simple isolation booth: hang some quilts, coats and other heavy materials around the mic.

Thanks for your response. Here is a spoken word test with the unwanted reverb. i can't demonstrate the dry sound i'm getting on the headphones - if I could there wouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• mic test.aif.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
Do you hear the reverb when listening to that recording in your headphones, with zero monitor speaker output in the room? Do you have sealed/closed back headphones for monitoring, so you are not picking up the monitor feed that's in the headphones along with your voice when you record?

What mic and interface do you use? The record level is possibly a little low - not sure what your actual recording type/target is, and how many other tracks you'd be adding.

I am also not sure what you are calling reverb - I do think that having a blanket over your head and the reflection shield could be making the problem a bit worse. Honestly, I don't hear a lot of what I would call reverb in this recording.

The mic should be a cardioid pattern type and you want a reasonable distance to the microphone - sounds like you are quite close.

My home studio isn't exactly treated for perfect sound, but when I speak or sing into my mic i like what i hear in the headphones (acoustically speaking). However, when i record i get irritating unwanted reverb on the recording. I'm recording in logic and i've run tests with no plugins on the recording channel or the output. Any idea what i might be doing wrong.?
You've said you get this 'unwanted reverb on recording'. It is possible that you are listening to direct and software monitoring at the same time. That would create a bit of an echo effect. For vocal recording, try turning software monitoriung off.

Thanks for everyone's contributions, but it isn't any of the suggested causes.
I think I have found the answer, but it is very specific to my setup, so read on if your audio interface is a focusrite saffire pro 24. It's a great interface, but it comes with some demonic software called saffire mix control. You are supposed to be able to add reverb and other effects for the benefit of the vocalist without necessarily recording it. But it is recording it. Only when you switch the reverb off does it stop. Even quitting saffire mix control doesnt help if you havent switched the reverb off. I know that sounds crazy. Maybe it's me.

Well your recording is reverb-less and clean. If you have this clean file recorded, then replaying it should sound the same. Does it add reverb to other tracks too?

I must admit my guess was going to be the mix control - the original plus the small amount of latency was my best guess, but you say no? I use a focusrite device but I don;t use any software - just the usual driver and that's it. I certainly just treat it as a straight audio device and it doesn't do any processing or effects.

I think I have found the answer, but it is very specific to my setup, so read on if your audio interface is a focusrite saffire pro 24. It's a great interface, but it comes with some demonic software called saffire mix control. You are supposed to be able to add reverb and other effects for the benefit of the vocalist without necessarily recording it. But it is recording it. Only when you switch the reverb off does it stop. Even quitting saffire mix control doesnt help if you havent switched the reverb off. I know that sounds crazy. Maybe it's me.
Mix Control, at least what came with the Saffire Pro 26 I used to use, does not add any FX, i.e., there are no downloadable or built-in DSPs in that line of interfaces. However, Mix Control and Logic, together, have a slightly confusing (IMO) way of doing/presenting the round-trip monitoring vs. direct monitoring settings, and I believe you're getting them mixed, or at least confused. (I no longer use my Saffire Pro 26, or I'd try to recreate how you are doing this with pictures - too lazy to hook it up and re-install the app.)

If reverb is off in Logic, it won't get recorded. However, if you have it on, but doing "direct monitoring" (in the Saffire/Logic way) then you'll hear a nice, dry sound in your headphones, but the recording will have reverb.

I had that interface too years ago.. same issues with the extra software.
RME has TotalMix and MOTU has CueMIx....but Tascam and Line 6 UX8 doesnt. I went with UX8 in the end, years ago.

lol..demonic software... i thought the same thing....but others love having the extra control and config software.

Ah! That kind of nonsense is the worst!

There are a few things you can do to help reduce room noise in your recordings. First, try to eliminate any extraneous noise in your environment. Make sure you aren't recording near a window or door that could be making noise, and try to keep other people and pets out of the room while you're recording. If that's not possible, you can try using some acoustic foam or panels to help deaden the sound of the room. Finally, make sure you're properly mic'ing your vocals. Position the mic close to your mouth and make sure it's pointing in the right direction.

_______
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

Last edited:
Back