Room Mic position for Drum and how to eq it

Kanman

Hey all. I got this problem. I got a 46 by 24 feet room, half carpet half wood floor. The drum are set at the wood floor side with carpet under it. I use large diaphame condencer mic for Room. I usually set the drum room mic at the other side of the room with pointing at the left side of the drum not at the drum. Back of the drum have diffuser. I point it about 3 feet above drummer head. Once I saw the other engineer came in to the studio and point it at the drum. But he point the mic face down and the carpet part in front of the drum kit. Both way get difference sound. What do you think? How should i position the mic. Let just say if we use only 1 mic for room. Right now i don't want to get crazy about using 2 mics yet.

Both way I usually eq the low off. Because the kick sound get mess up with the kick mic.

Thanks

Kanman!! How's it going? How's everything in Thailand? Your first post. Are you saying you're only using one mic for the drums? Does that sound good? I've never tried that before, so I'm not sure how to answer the question.

Is this for the Rock band you were telling me about? You should post in on the MP3 clinic forum. I'm sure everyone here would like to hear it.

No. He said one mic for the ROOM.

You should take some time and experiment with where to place and which way to face your room mic - no one can give an absolute answer because every room has unique acoustic qualities. The best result can even sometimes be pointing at the back wall or ceiling. Trial and error may be your best technique.

But I bet 99% of the people on this forum envy your 46' x24' room. I don't care what they say in the magazines - size DOES matter!

"Hey all. I got this problem. I got a 46 by 24 feet room, half carpet half wood floor."

dude, I'll trade you problems, and throw in a couple of mics to boot :)

really depends on what youre looking for...if I had that room I'd use my M/S room overhead dealy, as told in a different thread...

if youre looking for trash reverb, dont put the carpet in front of the kick, put it way the hell on the other side of the room and stick that mic on it.

Drum mic -- room

This is really a trial and error type of situation. Basically you have to experiment with the mic placement to see what sounds best. Try to attain a flat overall sound with no objectionable peaks or overtones from any of the drums in the room. You're looking for a sound that complements the closed mic'd drum set and anything that peaks away from the sound will only cause problems in mixdown later on. It's alot of work to get it, but once you do, write down where you had the mic so the next time it won't be so hard to find. Good luck ! Danny -- Jagged Studios

Thanks guy.

How do you guys eq it?

Do you compress the room mic alot.

For what I do, I always eq the low off and add high. Then I hit the compressor real hard with slow attack, fast release.

And sometimes send the room mic the the reverb.

What do you guys do?

Back