Room EQ Wizard (REM)

Bisson820

Hey guys,

Does anyone know about this kind of thing?

I am interested in it but am worried that changing the EQ of a room with software might be kinda wonky....

any insight?

Thanks,

Tyler

I have no experience with this but I googled it. It looks like a RTA system but with software to EQ your room flat. If this is what it is, I'd be REAL weary of it

Last edited:
Changing the response of a room via EQ is basically impossible. The best you can hope for is to make the speakers less accurate to make up for frequencies the room can't handle for whatever reason.

The way to fix a room is to fix the room.

Changing the response of a room via EQ is basically impossible. The best you can hope for is to make the speakers less accurate to make up for frequencies the room can't handle for whatever reason.

Thanks kinda what i figured

That technology works fairly well for live events, where you must use the room you have, but I agree, it's a band-aid- it's better to heal the wound and address the root cause.

AFA live apps, the best way to use that technology seems to be to have it DETECT the frequencies feeding back, but for the technician to have ultimate control- usually with graphic EQ sliders- over how much EQ'ing is done. The ultimate piece of test equipment is the human ear, so having a quick and easy* way of tweaking the sound is nice to have.

*And trust me, quick and easy is SO nice to have in a live situation.

It's a very effective program for identifying problems with speaker/room systems and distinguishing between what is caused by the speakers and what is caused by the room. What remediation is applied is totally up to the user and so dependent on his skill and experience. It's a powerful tool that can be used intelligently or not. There's nothing about the program that forces you to apply eq to address room issues, in spite of the unfortunate name.

Boulderdash does it again.

Thanks buddy.

Thanks everyone... im gonna use it to find the spots i need to fix and try to fix them with room treatments.

BOOM

Agreed, however if you are on a budget or using stereo speakers, computer speakers, or cheap monitors it may be better this way. You are adjusting the speakers to your room, not the room to your speakers so you'd be turning a speaker that is coloring the sound into a "flat" speaker.

Not at all -- Not even the same concept. EQ'ing a speaker for preference is completely different than trying to EQ out the limitations of the space - which is impossible.

You won't be better this way. You'll literally be making the most problematic issues completely inaudible. Fine for home theaters - the worst thing possible when accuracy is on the menu.

Even *IF* you could EQ a speaker into "accuracy" (a reasonably flat response), (A) you can bet that it's going to be flat with only a particular input (pink noise for instance) at a particular SPL. That "flatness" isn't going to stay linear - It's not going to be consistent. (B) You still do nothing to fix the room. ANY speaker will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be. That's just physics - There's no way around it.

Agreed, however if you are on a budget or using stereo speakers, computer speakers, or cheap monitors it may be better this way. You are adjusting the speakers to your room, not the room to your speakers so you'd be turning a speaker that is coloring the sound into a "flat" speaker.

Fixing room problems with eq sorta kinda works somewhat for one spot in the room while making it worse other places. It's mostly a dead end. Fix room problems with room treatment.

EQ'ing a speaker for preference is completely different than trying to EQ out the limitations of the space - which is impossible.

Right, EQ can adjust what's coming out of the speaker itself, but not the positional response changes and ringing due to the room. EQ is routinely used within active speakers to improve the raw response of the drivers and crossover.

Even *IF* you could EQ a speaker into "accuracy" (a reasonably flat response), (A) you can bet that it's going to be flat with only a particular input (pink noise for instance) at a particular SPL.

Just to clarify, room acoustics is linear, at least until you get up to 180 dB SPL or some such volume where air itself becomes non-linear. So whatever EQ is applied will have the same affect on music or noise or a sine wave sweep, and it will also remain constant at different volume levels.

--Ethan

Back