Roland XP-80 Expansion Board Problem

Nightsound

Presently, I own a Roland XP-80 music workstation. Anyone who is familiar with the model will know that it has 4 expansion slots; all of which I have filled with expansion boards from Roland's "SR-JV" series. The problem, however, is that I now wish to use more expansion boards in my work. And seeing as the XP-80 has only 4 expansion slots, I am forced to remove those already installed. Does Roland offer a device which allows one to use multiple expansion boards at the same time? Any advice or contacts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Nope.... you have 4 slots that's all you get. There are some Roland synths that use a newer type of expansion board.... the XV series of synths... those expansion boards hold a lot more... about 4 boards worth of data. However, I went to the Roland site and the XP-80 takes 4 of the older style. So, you have hit the wall. Sorry.

Take Care

You might look at at JV-1010 module as the cheapest form of expansion device - these hold one JV card, if I'm not mistaken. I think they come standard with the studio expansion JV board installed, but this can be substituted for another - you'd need to check.

Nightsound,
You may want to consider discontinued Roland M-expansion modules, which you can still catch on Ebay. There were 5 modules released and each module is almost equivalent to some expansion card. There are Bass and Drums (M-BD1), Orchestral (M-OC1), Dance (M-DC1), Vintage Synth (M-VS1) and String Ensemble (M-SE1) modules - this last one does not have equivalent card, I think.
If you already do not have those cards installed, and if you are OK with MIDI - take a closer look.

Back