Roland XP-30 Question???????

DJTonyMOMO

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Roland XP-30 has a 16 track sequencer in it?

Thanks in advance

I already own the Roland XP-80 and that one does. I am selling my XP-80 because I need to downsize my studio a little. So if anyone is interested hit me up at tonymomo@hotmail.com. Thanks

DJTonyMOMO said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Roland XP-30 has a 16 track sequencer in it?

Thanks in advance

I already own the Roland XP-80 and that one does. I am selling my XP-80 because I need to downsize my studio a little. So if anyone is interested hit me up at tonymomo@hotmail.com. Thanks

The XP30 does not have an onboard sequencer.

MAN THAT STINKS.

DOES THE XP-50 OR XP-10 HAVE AN ON BOARD SEQUENCER?

PLUS DOES THE xp-50 HAVE THE ONBOARD SOUNDS THE XP-30 HAS?

DJTonyMOMO said:
MAN THAT STINKS.

DOES THE XP-50 OR XP-10 HAVE AN ON BOARD SEQUENCER?

PLUS DOES THE xp-50 HAVE THE ONBOARD SOUNDS THE XP-30 HAS?

Only the 50,60 and 80 have onboard sequencers.

The XP30 has all the sounds of the XP50,60,80 and JV1080,2080 plus the Session, Techno and Orchestral expansion boards built in. It also has room for 2 more SR-JX cards. No other XP synth comes from the factory with that many sounds.

OK ANOTHER QUESTION. i HAVE THE hIP-hOP AND tECHNO EXPANSION CARDS. What would be the best route for me to go. I am selling my xp-80 to downsize to a smaller XP. But I would like to have a sequencer in the other XP I get. Would the XP-50 be best or should I go for the shepaer XP-30 and sequence through a comp program?

What sounds does the XP-50 come with?

What do you think?

I have no experience with the 50, I only own the XP30. I would not even bother with the XP50 because it was the first XP synth Roland introduced and many of its flaws/shortcomings were improved upon in the XP60 which was its direct replacement. The only difference between the 60 and 80 is the number of keys.

I really don't see the point of getting rid of the XP80 if you still want the same sounds and a sequencer - the 60 would be your only choice and anything you buy would have to be used since the XP series has been discontinued. Retailers are still getting rid of their stock of new XP30's, but thats about it.

Ok i understand what your saying Braz.

But I really need to downsize my studio. i am really interested in getting the XP-30. But what comp program would be good to sequence the xp-30. I have no problem recorded one track at a time into the comp.

The XP30 should work with any sequence software. I use Cakewalk (simply because I strated with Cakewalk years ago and the upgrades were cheaper than a new program and I can avoid a new learning curve.

There are a lot of people on this site with XP-30's who use many different software platforms.

I'm a big fan of the XP30 (good sounds, lots of sounds, decent playing feel, relatively easy to navigate, etc). One of the best values around in a keyboard (even without an on board sequencer).

I've only purchased one expansion card (country sounds - very realistic fiddle, banjo & steel guitar) - but I've heard sounds from most of the cards and they are on a whole very good.

I don't think you would be unhappy with an XP30

DJTonyMOMO said:
But I really need to downsize my studio. i am really interested in getting the XP-30. But what comp program would be good to sequence the xp-30. I have no problem recorded one track at a time into the comp.

You need a software sequencer and a midi interface....you can get an edirol or midiman usb midi interface for cheap....

if you scour ebay you might be able to find a copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for next to nothing (which is a few years older now but would work perfectly with the xp-30 and a PC....}

my only complaint with the Xp-30 and multitimbral sequencing is the comprising of patches to converse polyphony....I have never really figured an easy way around this problem...

Ok so I need a Software sequencer and a midi interface? Well what about the rest of my equipment? I would like to hook my 16 channel mixer to the comp too. I also have The following:

Pentium III running Sonar XL
M-Audio 2496 Souncard (coming SOon)
Roland VS-880 Xpanded Track Recorder
Behringer MX2004A 16 Channel Mixer
Tannoy SBM Monitors
Alesis R-10 Monitor Amp
Sony PCM-R300 Dat Recorder
Harmon Kardon CD20 Dual Deck Burner
Denon DRW-580 Dual Tape Deck Recorder
Alesis Midiverb 4 Effects Unit
Korg Kaoss Pad (Coming Soon)
Alesis 3630 Compressor
Alesis EQ M-230 Equalizer
DigiTech Vocalist Workstation EX Processor (Coming Soon)
Behringer HA4600 Pro Headphone Amp
Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner
3 - Shure Sm58 Dynamic Microphones
AKG Studio Mic
Roland XP-80 Synth Workstation
Roland Expanison Hip-Hop Card
Roland Expansion Techno Card
Zoom Sampleplayer ST-224 - Info Here
EMU MP-7 WorkStation - (Coming Soon)

So I would need a soundcard too, right? I have been looking at M-Audio Audiophile 2496. How would I hook all my mixer to this soundcard and how would I hook the comp to the main mixer? Does the comp hook to a single track on my Mixer or do you hook it up some other way?

I really hate asking these questions because I make myself sound like a rookie which I'm not. I have been producing beats and so on for 7 years. :) Thanks for eveyone that has helped me so far.

So what you guys think?

Oh by the way thanks for your reply "Mike H" Very Helpful. :)

Chill out a bit with the impatience, friend

I think Sonar will serve most of your sequencing needs well.

Only something like Cubase, Coda, or Finale would be much of an improvement

DJTonyMOMO said:
So I would need a soundcard too, right? I have been looking at M-Audio Audiophile 2496. How would I hook all my mixer to this soundcard and how would I hook the comp to the main mixer? Does the comp hook to a single track on my Mixer or do you hook it up some other way?

If you have SONAR XL you have more than enough sequencer to handle the midi duties for your xp-30....I believe SONAR even has the patch lists for your keyboard so you can have that all organized on your computer and call up the patches within your sequencer...

If you are getting an Maudio 2496, it already has a 1in 1 out midi interface....that would get connected to your xp-30....

the 2496 has stereo in and out ....take the outputs from the soundcard and insert them into one channel on your mixer....this is for playback of your soundcard....take an output from your mixer and connect that to the inputs of your soundcard...this lets you record to your computer...take the audio outputs of your xp-30 and dedicate one channel on your mixer to it...

now you can record to your souncard thru your mixer, record your xp-30 to your souncard/sequencer, and hear it all back....

Thank you so much Captain for breaking it down for me. Thats why I love this Site because the people actually help each other :)

That was very helpful. Now I know exactly what to do.

You are the man.

Now How about my Monitors, I would still run them off my mixer right?

If you plan to use hardware for your sounds (ie: XP30) you don't really need a sound card (but you do need a audio/digital interface. Most interfaces have at least 1 MIDI in/out which takes care of the XP30. I don't have a sound card on my computer (since I don't use sofeware synths)

While there are many ways to use a computer/software with hardware - I'm a dinosaur so I used the computer completely as a recording medium (hard disk recording). To go into the computer I use an A/D converter with 8 ins/outs (however, in most cases I record one tack at a time).

I either use the XP30 to record MIDI tracks or I use a pre-amp into the A/D converter to record vocals, guitars, etc.). The MIDI out triggers one of several modules (I actually have 24 MIDI "channels) which are hooked up to my hardware mixer (a Mackie). The A/D converter gives me 8 "channels" of audio into the mixer (for vocals, etc) although the Cakewalk software can give me about 24 "tracks" of audio (which I have to assign to the 8 A/D outs). However, with endless MIDI tracks I rarely need more than 8 channels of audio.

The mixer (and patch bays) can then send the signals to whatever hardware processors I choose - and this can all be mixed down to 2 tracks going to either DAT, CD or cassette (depending on the project).

This way the mixer serves only as a "mixdown" mixer and has nothing to do with the recording path (for tracking).

Certainly keeping everything in the computer is a option - but since you already have a fair amount of hardware - I suspect you don't want to start over entirely (although that would certainly take up less room).

Since I had lots of hardware, I set up my system the way it is - I can still use my hardware and record in more of an "analog environment" - like I said, I'm a dinosaur.

DJTonyMOMO said:
Now How about my Monitors, I would still run them off my mixer right?

Here's how I do it. It's a very simple and modest setup but its cheap and it works.

I have a Digi Mbox, a Motu fastlane 2x2 midi interface, and a Mackie 1202 vlz mixer....tracks are recorded one at a time

I use Logic Audio, Protools LE, Reason, a Roland Xp-30 and V-drums...

my monitors are run off the control room outs on the Mackie, so it has its own gain control....you could run it off the main but the you wouldnt have independent monitor gain controls...

the Digi Mbox is stereo in and out....I take the output out the Mackie from the alt 3/4 bus to the ins of the Mbox to record to the computer...there's a button on each channel of the mixer that sends the signal to this bus...very convenient

V-drums, xp-30 keyboard, mics, etc, are all fed into the Mackie..as well as the outs of the Mbox audio interface and also the audio outputs of the Mac to play back CD's....

right now I'm using the xp-30 and V-drums mostly as midi controllers to trigger Reason. NI Battery, Absynth, FM7, Pro 53, EVP 88 and some other Emagic softsynths....the possiblities are endless....

Back