Roland XP-30 and cakewalk

nburling

Greetings all. I'm a newbie to the world of midi, and was recently given a Roland XP 30 synth and Pro Audio 9.0 a while back.

I can't for the life of me get the XP-30 to function as a multitimbral sound source. I have the instrument definitions mapped correctly, but am at a loss.

Any helpful ideas/links/articles would be great.

Make sure the xp-30 is in performance mode. Not patch mode. In performance mode you have to assign the sound you want to one of the 16 allowable parts (16 midi channels)....Simply set sound one for midi channel 1, sound 2 for midi channel 2, sound 3 for midi channel 3......Roland, being the complete idiots that they are does not give you a good explanation of this in the manual. It took me a while to figure it out. When I did....I was so psyched!!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. One other question: do you need to set the midi channel separately for each part, or just for the performance?

Put another way, is a "part" in your answer the same as defined in Roland's manual, also called a voice? If so, isn't it capable of playing 64 voices simultaneously? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Yes, each part/voice of the Performance will have its own midi channel.

Put another way, is a "part" in your answer the same as defined in Roland's manual, also called a voice? If so, isn't it capable of playing 64 voices simultaneously? Sorry if that's a dumb question

This is not dumb -- 64 voices I believe, means that when you create a sound/part you may use up to 64 voices in constructing the sound.......Now I sound like the fucking manual !!!!:confused:

Back