Roland Vs840

jono_3

Id love to hear peoples experience with these machines, i had 2 seperate br-8s ways back but those are long gone on ebay and i have a chance to pick a vs840 up for $300 CND. Please email me with any clips, songs, experience, likes, dislikes, let me know.

Additionally, if this current sale falls through, im interested in buying one, or something like it - email me with any offers.(I pay shipping - paypal, wire trans.,money order)

Jon

love my 840ex it is a lovely machine easy to use and there is a great site devoted to vs machines at vsplanet.com . theree are many users there to help with any troubles. cheers. an excellent price at three i bought mine for 1800 four years back egad..

hi, jono

I own a VS840GX and I think it´s a great recorder. Plus, you´ll find huge information and a lot of recording tips in the vsplanet.com site wich is very helpful.

It all depends in your neccesitties. I would recomend the 840 if you are going to record less than 4 instruments (mics) at a time and if you don´t need too much bouncing in your songs.
It is not difficult to learn how it works, just take a look at the manual and practice and practice.

This machine can be placed in the semi-profesional range. Anyway, it has preamps, guitar direct input, a lot of FX, EQ, 999 re-do, digital out and much more features. MAybe some features are not professional enough for many people but for me it´s more than enough.I make music by myself, playing and recording all the instruments.

You can take a listen to some recordings I did with the 840. I use some external equipment in my set but I use many FX and simulators in the 840 FX.

www.mp3.com/moitoh
you better listen to "NoBetterEnd" or "SpaceHEad"

regrets,

Juan

Find out if the ZIP drive is 100 megs, or 250. 100 meg drives don't leave a lot of space, and you will likely have to use a higher data compression algorithm (MT2) which will affect the sound quality.

first machine i ever had. i gave it to my cuzzin. Its really easy to use like they've been sayin. thanks to the easy routing.
miss it but it was time to move on. it didnt have a hard drive just zip. they still dont recomend moving while recording,but i was able to record a song on the amtrak(the memories)

MK-Ultra said:
Find out if the ZIP drive is 100 megs, or 250. 100 meg drives don't leave a lot of space, and you will likely have to use a higher data compression algorithm (MT2) which will affect the sound quality.

In saying that, you may be able to upgrade it to a Laptop HDD... mind you the HDD has to be smaller than 2GB...

The vsplanet has info about how to upgrade to the HDD if you are interested.

At work they were throwing away 8 laptop HDD's all 1.8Gb.... it was one of the happiest days of my life... with the exception of the day I got married.

Porter

i couldn't find the info about adding a hard drive to the vs 840 on vsplanet. does anyone know where to find it?

clayton

Yes, I can vouch for that hard drive installation in the VS840. You do need to get the software to update it to a VS840EX, and there is a maximum limit of about a 2GB hard drive. Some people have come up with Removable cartridges that you can mount a 2GB or less 2.5" IDE drive (laptop drive). It wouldn't be hotswappable, but you can shutdown the machine, and remove the drive. You could have multiple drives this way, as well.

I had an 840mb drive from an old laptop handy, and custom-installed it. The VS840 tells me that I can get something like 420 minutes of recording. I used it for recording my band playing live on New Years Eve. I had a short recording already on there. I setup to record 4 tracks live to a new song. I got 1 hour 40 minutes of full 4-track recording. Not bad for 850mb! You also avoid some of the other issues that plague Zip drives. You can overwhelm the Zip drive when recording 4 tracks at once. Not at all an issue with the hard drive.

The only drawback is how to backup the songs from the VS840. That's also greatly discussed on http://www.vsplanet.com/bbs/. Pay particular attention to a contact that goes as JimY. He was key to figure all of this out.

Back