roland vs 880 into soundcard makes awful sound!

mikeyhasnobones

"stop dropping my mics."
okay, weird question but let's see:

today i tried hooking up my roland vs-880 from the headphone out straight into my (brand new w/vista) laptop's line in with reaper. now here's the thing, when the cable is unplugged from the roland there is no noise at all but as soon as i plug it into the headphone output of the roland, the signal (guitar, vocals, whatever) comes through fine but accompanied by a HEINOUS "fax" type noise. and it's only with my roland because i've plugged my ipod straight into the line in into reaper and it works fine! any ideas as to whats going on here, how to fix it, can i fix it?? thanks!

you are using the analog out of the roland into an analog in on your card?

Might want to come to reaper chat. I think there are some other V guys in there

Noth that this is the problem, but you shouldn't be using the headphone out. You should be using the main outputs on the back of the unit. It could just be some sort of impedence mismatch that is allowing/causing the noise.

Roland 880!!

Well I have a VS-880EX going into my computer here and no problems with it. I come out of the main outs with 2 RCA into a 1/8 inch male. I plug mine direct to the mic input and get quality sounds. My sound card is an older Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 and I am running XP Home on this Pc. If I can help ya just let me know. and good luck

when the cable is unplugged from the roland there is no noise at all but as soon as i plug it into the headphone output of the roland, the signal (guitar, vocals, whatever) comes through fine but accompanied by a HEINOUS "fax" type noise.

I Had this happen to me too with my VS880EX I got rid of the noise by disconnecting the power supply and running off the battery. I think there was something else i did as well. So it sucked casue i only had so long before i had to plug it back in. But i eventually solved it when i got my M-Audio Fast Track. The noise disappeared completely.

Now the only trouble i have is getting the tracks from my Roland to my PC. It always bottoms out. Gets choppy and all that crap. IT sucks. I love my Roland. And i have great songs on there i want off of it but i cant dump anything off it succesfully.

Also i cant get stereo mix downs off of it either. Im totally bummed out on it.

But i hope you get your problem fixed.

I've never used the 880, but all the other VS series things have a way to back the tracks off to CD as wav files. Do that, and bring them up in your computer DAW.

Yea.... This Particular VS needs an External Drive which is hard to come by. But i am looking as we type. In reality i should just sell it and upgrade to something with a built in burner. Id only need like 8 tracks at most. Any recommendations.

yeah i ended up figuring out that i had the same thing with the laptop only when it was plugged in so i just used the battery and the noise stopped! thanks for the help all!

Back