Roland VM 3100 Pro, No talk?

SBax

Like a lot of people lurking around these days I'm setting up a DAW. The computer part was easy, 1 GHz PIII, 512 ram, ultra 160 SCSI dedicated music drive, Sonar, etc. Since I don't have a mixer, preamps, or outboard compressor it appears that the VM 3100 Pro is a deal. I need 8 inputs and the compressor and limiter will come in handy on the snare and kick. Now I realize the preamps wouldn't be like the Mackie VLZ Pro and the A/D, D/A converters aren't Lucent, etc. but it's not like I have $1000 mics either.

It appears to me that the VM is the best deal out there for average to good quality DAW recording in the 8 in, 24 bit recording. Any opinions or comments? Thanks a lot.

have you seen the new soundcraft spirit m8 mixer?
You can check it out at www.bayviewproaudio.com

one thing i like about it is that it has spdif out so you can basically just get an inexpensive soundcard with spdif and use the soundcraft as a front end, thus bypassing 2 extra analog stages

I also read(from one person only) that the preamps are better than mackie.

peace

Thanks for the reply CJ and I did visit the Soundcraft site too. Problem is that I would have to pre-mix all the drum mics (7) to stereo and then include the guide (scratch) guitar and vocal in that same mix with that same stereo pair.

Sbax

I,m in the process to select a PC-Based recording system, Did you get the VM-3100Pro already? I just posted a therad for that matter, please comment your experience selecting and using the VM-3100Pro mixer.

thanks

Back