Roland V-drums vs Acoustic kit ...on tape

I think there are pro's and cons to both. If I was recording a garage band with one 18 year old and the rest minors who had only been playing for 3 months together, I would be VERY inclined to use V-drums or pads. Why?? Because the kid is most likely going to have no technique at all and will not hit the right part of the drum even half the time to get a decent tone from it. So with V-drums I would be able to save a lot of hassle and time to make the kid sound good. On the other hand, if I was recording a jazz drummer who had been playing for 25 years I would be very inclined to stick him in a nice room with a bass drum mic and 2 overheads, and maybe a snare mic. Maybe even less than that. Why?? Because he is going to most likely have some great technique and get the best sound out of the drums as possible. Also for jazz, you don't need a reverb and compression on every single drum.

Not to say that a GOOD drummer can't get a good sound on V-drums. I just think it could be limited in some ways. I mean with a snare drum for instance, there are about 6 basic tones you can get with technique. With the best V-drums I have only heard 3.

Beezoboy

Back