Roland Studio Pack Mini Review

SBax

Okay, they just shipped last week. I bought it Sat and installed it.

New Dell. PIII 1 GHz, Intel chipset, 256 RAM, ATA 100 HD for the OS, 40 GB Ultra 160 SCSI for sound files. Windows ME. Sonar (did not install Logic that came with it).

It installed perfectly and has WDM driver.

It was up and running very fast. No problem at all.

The WDM driver and the PCI card are from M-Audio which have a good rep. The A/D, D/A chips are Lucid which also has a good rep on this message board.

So, it is a combo Roland/M-Audio package. The mixer LCD is backlit (a must) but is too small (what else is new). I did some recording with 4 tracks at once. No problem. Will do 8 soon. Sounds great to me. I am not a big fan of Roland effects but the compressor and limiter will be nice for snare and kick.

The mixer looks deep. The menu system is typical Roland mumbo jumbo. But if you're familar with the VS recorders, no problem. The mixer is set up more like a VS than a regular analog mixer (I think). I have mixed feeling about this now.

Documentation is very good.

Cons:
Only two XLR inputs, had to buy more impedence transformers (4 @ $20 ea!). The preamps may not be super (I'm no judge of good preamps, either) but I don't have $2000 mics or UA compressors. The way the log taper pot for the preamp is set up makes fine adjustments hard with a very light signal. Need a fine touch here.

Records only at 44 KHz. 24 bit. That funny because the RPC-1 card (M-Audio remember) supports 96 KHz and it says it in the manual. But unless you have a acoustically designed room with Neumann mikes and UA compressors you'll be just fine. (This is my way of justifing the purchase to myself!)

BTW, I'm just a home recording person. This is my first move from 4 track tape (I have recorded on a borrowed VS880). Never been in a studio, don't have high end stuff (except for my guitars and amps). But I think there are a lot of people like me. I went with the Roland/Sonar because:

I like computer editing, a lot.
Worked with Cakewalk PA9 and liked it.
I need 8 inputs for my drum kit. I find 7 or 8 separate tracks for drums helps me taylor the drum mix according to the needs of whatever song type I'm doing at the time, especially in the final mix. And in my eyes (ears), drums can make or break a song.
I had no preamps or outboard compressor/limiter.
Got tired of conflicting, confusing info about computer recording and decided to take a risky plunge.
Limited budget and it's a integrated package.

Time will tell if problems show up. Only had it one day. I consider this a beta, mini review.

I have been eyeing the studio pack myself. It looks like such a good deal (everything included: effects, preamps, mixer, etc. all in one box)

Are you able to get the faders, knobs, etc. to sink with sonar?

Back