roland spd-s questions

damianhk

I'm not looking to play drums; i don't have the skills. I'd like to program songs using real drum samples. Does the spd-s have a drum machine section where you can create patterns and chain them together to make a song? If so, can you program different volume levels of the same pad. For example: if i want a filler snare at a lower volume, can i punch that in (volume level)? Or, would i have to create another pad for that different volume? If you use the lower volume levels of a sample, does the decay tail off earlier, or do you have the full sound at a lower volume? I really learned my way around the old boss dr550, if only i could use that unit with real sounds, that would be great. I like the control of decay, and the 15 volume levels when programming. When using the dr550, sometimes i'll use volume level 14 with minimal decay for the verse, and then for the chorus or solo, I'll increase the volume to 15 with more decay. I use separate pads for this. Thanks in advance for any info. If i can't program the spd-s, I wonder if the akai mpc500 has this capability. I hope the above questions make sense. In a nutshell, i want to program a song using real drum sounds. I've been experimenting with pc drummer, but i really like stand alone units for some reason. If i have to move towards the computer for this, i guess i'll have to start learning sometime.

I'll check that out, and you aren't the first to mention fruity loops. I may be leaning towards pc drummer, it seems simple, you can import samples, and compared to a drum machine or sampling unit, it's cheap; like $49 or $59. More exploring after work today. THNX

I noticed that the spd-s has one stereo trigger input. I rarely use toms, but could i trigger a kick and a snare separately with that input?

How's the sensitivity/different volume levels? Can you adjust sensitivity? Also, can you adjust the sensitivity for the trigger input? If i use a sequencer with different volume levels programmed, will the spds recognize the different levels? I know i'm bordering on being a pest, but since some people here own one (spd-s), maybe i can feel good about a purchase. The info is helping me shape my decision.

Back