roland r-8m - assigning outputs? manual?

Ok ... so .. this is my FIRST venture into MIDI at ALL. I just picked up an old Roland R-8M module, and my main goal is to have seperate tracks for each drum sound so i can have full control of mix, eq, ect.

I have my Roland TD-3SW's MIDI out plugged into the MIDI in of the R-8M. From the TD-3 i can switch between the drum kits that are available in the R-8M, but i can't edit any of the qualities.

Also, nothing automatically assigns sounds to the MANY outputs on the R-8m (which is the reason i bought the module)

so, my two BASIC questions, i suppose, would be

1. Does anyone happen to know how to set the outputs on this modlue, using my given set up

or

2. Does anyone know where there is a download of this manual? I can't find one on the roland webpage, nor in searching through google. Even with just a manual i think i could figure it out ... but just trying to read the stuff on the front of the LCD to figure it out is like greek to me in my MIDI in-experience

any help would be greatly appreciated

You've discovered the downside of Roland. They make great stuff, but they don't provide manuals online. (edit: Please ignore this paragraph -- see below.)

I have an R-8M, but I haven't used it very much. But I do have the manual in front of me. Unfortunately, the user interface is not very straighforward. The basic procedure for assigning an instrument to an output is this:

1. Get into "Sound Edit" mode:

Press EDIT (the indicator will light).
Use the CURSOR "<" and ">" to select PATCH and press ENTER.
Use the CURSOR to select "INST" and press ENTER.
Use the CURSOR to select "SOUND" and press ENTER.

2. Select the note number:

Press "NOTE #" (the indicator will light).
Use the CURSOR to select the note number (21 - 108). (Does the TD-3 tell you which note number is assigned to a given trigger?)
Press "NOTE #" (the indicator will go out).

3. Use the CURSOR to select the parameter and use VALUE (up/down arrow keys) to set it.

The parameter you're interested in is "Out Asgn", which can be LEFT1, LEFT2, LEFT3, CENTER, RIGHT1, RIGHT2, RIGHT3 (all of which are pan positions within the main L/R outputs), and MULTI1 through MULTI6.

4. When you're done editing, press EXIT while holding the JUMP key. This returns you to PLAY mode.

Clear as mud?

Don

Last edited:
THANK YOU

sooooo much.
that is just what i needed to know. And i got a reply in less than an hour - so i didn't have time to get so frustrated that i threw the thing against the wall.

thanks again!

so ... wtf can't Roland provide manuals for "near* iconic old gear ????
if peavey can have charts telling how shit that NOBODY ever cared about was wired .. it seems like roland could .. uhm ... do better.

but they don't provide manuals online.

Is that a joke? Rolandus.com provides every manual ever printed for just about every piece of gear they made dating back to 1979 for free.

Yep-- just go to www.rolandus.com and choose "Product Manuals" from the Support link. You register once to get a free login (and sign up for newsletters if you want 'em), then you can access the whole manual library. I've used it for all my Roland gear.

altitude909 said:
Rolandus.com provides every manual ever printed for just about every piece of gear they made dating back to 1979 for free.
Sorry, I guess I'm an idiot. Thanks for the correction.

Back