Roland MV vs. Akai MPC

Echelon

Lights Fish on Fire.
Oh boy, you knew this thread had to come as some point... I'm surprised it took this long. I'm gonna be honest, I've never used an MPC, and after buying the MV-8000, I don't think I ever will. This machine is a beast, especially with Version 3. I was just wondering what the rest of you think. Also, if you guys have any questions about it, be sure to hit me up and i'll do what I can to help out.

I don’t own either, but I’ve used the MPC (2000XL and 3000) plenty of times at other cats studios. All I can say in defense of the MPC is that is easy as hell to use. I never had the manual, or help from anyone and I was up and sequencing within 15 minutes the first time I sat down with it.

Never been big on the ALL-IN-ONE solutions like these for my personal studio though. Rather have my PC doing the sequencing/recording, my VariOS and Akai S2000s doing the sampling, my Z1 and MS handling the synthesis, my various sound modules handling the bread and butter and controlling it all with my main key and drum controllers.

At the end of the day, they’re all just tools and they all can be used to construct quality music. It’s the person using the gear that makes the biggest difference.

against the 2000xl there is little to no room for comparison.... against the 4000 there may be a lot to compare but your needs will easily seperate the two. the 4000 sample engine is beefed up on some 24/96 with a million parameters shit. almost to the point where very few would ever need most of that shit. the mv does not have the sample engine (from the specs) or the connectivity that the 4000 does but really seems to make up for it with ease of use. the mv8000 also has some nice tricks and does a ton of shit the 4000 can't do easily (from what i've read and heard). os version 3 has turned the mv8000 into a real monster while the 4000 is still what it is.

i have never used the 4000 but my 2000's are looking like cold doodoo right now. the monitor option on the mv8000 takes it. the features, including the new shit they did with the pattern sequencing, makes the mv8000 my choice between the 2. it's still lacking on some parts and even the roland reps admitted this but even that shit was on some next level usage shit. the basics are down good and covered pretty well. i think they plan to develop it even furture which is a always a good thing but the akai seems to be all bug fixes so far.

if i had ever actuaally used the 4000 it may be a tuff call but i haven't. after spending some time wit the roland rep and watching some of the tricks the mv8000 (and the fantom x) can do it's a easy call for my situation. i will most likely own a mv8000 in the very near future. like... i keep the money in my pocket for one.

and when i say ease of use.... that shit really ain't really "easy" but once you get used to all the different functions then it is easy compared to shit like using samples in a triton or something.

imute...

Yeah, I love the VGA man, I don't use the MV for sequencing though. I know people that do, and it works for sure, but I love cubase.

mpc vs mv

Started making beats about 6 years ago got the privilege to start off with an MPC 4000.
After I sold it bought an MPC 1000 but it wasn’t the same saved up for anther MPC 4000 nothing compared but could afford the 1400$ so I sold it again. Hey I need the money….
Ok now I wanted to make music / beats again.. but no way I have 1400$ for a mpc4000 and I don’t recommend the 1000……

SO after reading a bunch of reviews …I found a MV 8000 for 375$ had to buy it .. 1000$ less then the 4000 …….how is it???????

I love it took me about 1month to learn and made a few beats already I posted one on my my space so yall can compare it the MPC4000 I also have MPC beats…the mV8000 makes it real easy to sample but I sampled from the TV and it’s a bit static ie but the MV 800sounds good.to me will post more beats as I make them… don’t believe the bad post on MVs ……….1000$ cheaper is way worth it..
http://www.myspace.com/d1anonlyproductions

For whatever reason this 5 year old thread was bumped lol anybody reading it thinking about the MV vs MPC should most definately throw Maschine into the mix, it makes them both look like antiques.

True

true, the maschine, looks amazing,, it is the future....I wish I could afford one.... ...why wouldnt i buy one.....

I would if i could....DUH.....D.I.C.K... sorry I dont make as much as you I am a loser i guesss.. none the less

maschine 500$
Computer that could handle it smoothly 1000.00
total = 1500$

MPC 4000 = 1200$ its an antiques very old.. but could make music

MV 8000 = 350.00$

but its an antiques very old but could make music
and (read my reply two comments before this one)

This is a key for your spending range you choose what you could afford

Back