Roland Fantom G...

I once read in Keyboard Magazine (I think the article was about the 20 greatest advances in music technology) that the Korg M1 (intoduced in the late 80's) marked the birth of the modern keyboard, that the keyboards that followed resembled and functioned similar to the M1. I probably read that article over 10 years ago, but it seems the argument could still be made that this is the case today. Maybe the keyboard has pretty much "evolved" to his almost perfect state and is now just being tweaked.

Think about the 6-string acoustic guitar; it looks the same now as it did 35 years ago (when I first saw one) and it probably looked pretty much the same back to the early 1900's (or maybe even earlier). There must have been a time when there was experimentation in body shape, distance between frets, etc.

It has been pointed out to me that the automobile of the 50's is not that much different from today's cars. It sort of reached a peak-point of advancement (think '57 Chevy, one of the only cars that ever caught my attention) and for 50 years it hasn't varied that much.

Maybe sound engineers and keyboard/synth designers are having a hard time constantly improving on "last year's" model.

Maybe sound engineers and keyboard/synth designers are having a hard time constantly improving on "last year's" model.

Sometimes I wonder that until Korg comes out with something new. It's been a long time since they dissappointed...

Back