Roland/Boss limiter ??

brtaln1

I'm hearing a limiter seems to be a fairly important part of recording/mastering. Is there any Roland/Boss product like the BR 8 type recorders that has a built in limiter as part of the package?

I just got the Boss BR-532, and if I understand your question correctly (limiter ~= compressor?) then this feature/effect is available on almost every insert effect patch.

If the BR-8 has an actual "limiter" dial or setting, then I'm off, and my apologies.

The question on the limiter is when cutting a vocal part, the input is strong and stays around-4 and does not go above that level but, when it is played back it peaks a lot higher. I understood a limiter to eliminate any peaks that you set it for. I do not understand if i record at a steady level why my recording should peak high.

Not sure.....

I'm not sure what's happening there. I know that I rely heavily on the compressor in my unit to pull low signals (vocal or instrument) up a bit and squish down the higher amplitudes so the mix is more even.

Hopefully someone will read this that understands more and can help in your search...

A limiter is a compressor set with a super high compression ratio and a threshold around -1db to -6 or so. It will take anything over the threshold and squash it down. You should avoid using them for tracking unless you have a good one or they are just barely limiting the signal. A cheap limiter will sound pretty obvious if you slam it really hard.

The Roland VM3100Pro mixer has 2 compressor/limiters built in with the effects.

Back