rode ntk

djessence

since this mic has it's own mic pre/tube does that make it less versatile, or can you still use other mic pre's with it?

also, how much variation is there between different tubes once they've been replaced?

It's own mic pre?? Where did you get that from??:confused:

The NTK comes with its own power supply (like all tube mics), but you need a mic pre to go with it...

well, would it matter if you ran it through a tube preamp such as the dbx 386? or would this be too much tube sound? i'm completely unfamiliar with tube mics/preamps apart from what i've read and researched. any info is appreciated...thanks

Even though the 386 has a tube in it, it has very little "tube" charecter. I consider this to be a very clean (not the cleanest) mic pre. Something like a JoeMeek on the other hand could possibly be over the top but that's just a matter of opinion.

I use an NTK with a Joemeek VC6Q, it sounds fine to me...Depends on what you're recording, and your personal preferences.
You really have to listen for yourself ;)

I A/B'd the NTK against the new Groove Tubes GT66... I found the 66 to have a beefier sound over the NTK...plus the signal was much hotter then the RODE. So, you may want to look into the 66! Again, a lot of it has to do with what your personal preference is and what type of recording you plan on using it on.

Back