Rode NTK - Should you upgrade the tube?

Maybe using the NTK on the things it sounds good would be a better solution. Then, purchase another mic for other stuff. It may cost you less money in the long run.

What are you trying to record that is loosing it's highend? Also, what are you monitoring with? and finally (not to be insulting) have you had a thorough hearing exam. If there are any hearing deficits that can drive you buggy when mixing and tracking.

I have a friend who does a little live sound and the first thing he does is start cranking up the high on the board , i think it's cuz his ears are missing some frequencies.

I do have a light hearing loss in the high treble region from playing loud rock music in my youth. But that should prevent me from hearing the offensive high mids, not making it sound wrong. Anyway, I heard the offensive highs and searched the net only to find that others have noticed the same. As someone said, you can even hear the fizzle in the demo sound files on Rode's own site.

So unlike your friend I don't increase treble, I actually decrease it when using the NTK.

I mix in Sonar. Use M-Audio Delta 66 with Omni Studio - which I will replace with RME Fireface 800 sometime in November, unless I find a better solution.

For a while I thought I would get a Soundelux u195 mic instead of the NTK, but I am not so sure anymore. It's a lot of money if I find out it is no good, and over here it is unknown so the resale value will be low.

Back