Rode Nt3?

Eastale

It is appaently a very clear nice soundling mic? Has anyone had experience with it? Thank you for everyone putting up with my annoying threads and helping me out. :)

It is indeed a fine mic. Very sensitive, great overall frequency response and balanced tone with a nice slight rise in the 5k range (good for vocals). Great for acoustic guitar etc. Very hefty for it's size and flexible with 9v choice instead of requiring a 48v phantom.

I own one and my experience and perception is a bit different than Roadwarrior's.

Definitely hefty and well built, the 9v option is very handy, and it has good senstivity and fairly low noise.

But I would not say its exactly balanced sounding ... IMO.... its a pretty hyped sounding mic. Quite brite.

I like it on certain things if I need a bright sound ..... like guitar cabs for a thrashy sound, or percussion tracks and occasionally on a backing vox track or secondary vox track for effect.

Its also a hypercardiod pattern which can really help on some apps and limit it for otheres ..... but its definitely a good alternate flavor of mic to have in the locker.

My two cents.

-mike

...I have the NT4 which I believe is a stereo version (2 capsules in a A/B variation)...great on drums, good room miking, but definately on the brighter side (too thin for serious solo vocal tracking, although I've gotten some interesting vocal trax when miking multiple vocalists singing together at one time for backup vocals)...nice mic...

similat to above, hyped sound.... a little "closed" to me
good for hand percussion, super mic for snare (unless the drummer hits his hats to hard, the bleed can be harsh, but at least it's hyper)

well built, have used it on vox but very rarely.

The NT4 is related to the NT5 not the NT3 which is a different animal altogether.

Re the NT3..............PROS: Well built, nice (visual) design and have that 9V option which could be handy...................CONS: One of the most overly-hyped, overly bright, harshest sounding mics I have encountered. If someone gives it to you, take it but I wouldn't recommend paying too much for one as there are many mics out there which are better value and far more useable.

:cool:

Eastale said:
It is appaently a very clear nice soundling mic? Has anyone had experience with it? Thank you for everyone putting up with my annoying threads and helping me out. :)
Hi Eastale...
Been using NT-3s for instrument recording in studio for several years, and it is the mic that can be used with great effect for close mic situations.

If we want/need a very separated and full sounding acoustic guitar with a bit more high end, I place a pair of NT-3s 8'' - 10'' out in an modified NOS or ORTF pattern will yield a very solid acoustic guitar sound.

I stick a pair of NT-3 on a dual mount with a 6'' spread, and then configure them out to either 90° or beyond. The tips of the capsules are about double a normal NOS or ORTF spread, but the pan controls can be used to narrow them in the stereo field if that's necessary. Very wide sound in the phones.

For single mic use, again I move NT-3s in close to the body/fingerboard joint, or to the lower bout behind & below the bridge.

The bass drops off very rapidly as you back them out, so I grab one off the stand while wearing headphones and have the guitarist play while I move the mic around and locate the best spot. Then I note the spot, and move the stand to that location.

NT-3s are not my first choice for a smooth sounding solo acoustic guitar sound, but for instruments going into a mix, they capture a sound that layers well and sounds good. Definitely a good choice for an acoustic lead guitar solo in the middle of a mix.

My preferred solo guitar mics are a pair of Peluso CEM C6 with omni capsules in a Jeclkin array.
It is

Back