Rode NT1A - Focusrite 2i4

nashartist

I recently bought the above products and they both sound great, only problem is, once they go onto a instrumental it just sticks out like a sore thumb! I'm currently recording in a program called 'Reaper' can anyone suggest what effects I should use or how I can make it blend in better with the music? Or a different program I should be using?

I'm guessing you are trying to add a vocal track to backing tracks? Those tracks have been processed (somehow) with possibly compression, limiting, EQ, reverb. Ideally, you want raw tracks that have not been processed, because you can't know what was done to those processed tracks in order to replicate the sound.

When I record vocals onto an instrumental it just doesn't blend in nicely with the backing music, it's definitely a clear sound but the vocals just don't fit in well if that makes sense? People can't just record it and then the songs done surely?

I've always used USB mics with cool edit pro so I use to just record and then put like 5 effects on and it was done, I was told to move onto a program called 'reaper' and I just want my vocals to sound good and blend in with the backing music! I've looked for basic tutorials but can't find anything!

Sounds like you need to have a look at mixing the vocal in with the other parts - bring the channel volume down and see how that sounds to start with. You might want to look into compression and EQ as you get more experienced using Reaper and you aren't happy with your results.

There is a lot to take in with modern DAW's like Reaper - the best place to start is probably the quick start guide, then the manual for how everything works (surprise surprise). Don't expect to sound like pro straight away and you'll be fine.
Youtube has a number of basic tutorials on the UI, might be a good start to know where everything is and what it does.

The NT-1A is a very bright, crisp mic. You might try using a high shelving eq from about 4kHz (easily done in the ReaEQ plugin) to soften the high frequencies a little. You could also try brightening the eq on your other tracks until you get a nice balance.

When I record vocals onto an instrumental
I don't think he has individual instrument tracks - he's trying to put a vocal track on top of a backing track recorded elsewhere/by someone else.

Back