Rode NT1

dj Happee

I'm wondering if anyone in here has used this mic. It's pretty cheap for a condenser mic and it seems to work good from what i've heard (then again i haven't tested that many mics). What are your inputs?

www.mp3.com/zoneseven

I've used it, dont like it. There will be a bunch of replies of people who do like it though. YMMV.

I don't know how consistant the new NT-1s are, but the old mics had a lot of variation in the sound from unit to unit. I would listen to several and choose the best sounding mic of the lot (although it still may not be the best sounding NT1 out there, just the best one in that store).

This is a list of things I've used the NT-1 on and had good results

an SWR Workingmans 15" bass cab, bowed upright bass, Wess' voice, as a room mic for recording electric guitar (w/ a 57 slammed into the grill) beautifully ugly on the bottom of a snare... recorded a live show with one and a cheap SDCM from AT as a VERY spaced "stereo" pair- very cool.

now the nightmares...

My voice, every acoustic guitar I've tried it on, drum overheads... (maily the things Id like this mic to work well on :D)

and yes, your mileage may vary.

-jhe

let me add some confusion :D

a rode nt1 sounds like crap on my voice,

but I have a friend who recorded a cd with it. He has an awesome voice. The rode nt1 vocals compare favorably to the other cd he had done in a professional studio .

Yes, some eq will be necessary, but you can make it work.

If by any chance you can afford more, by all means do, or look at the marshall mic that harvey gerst recommended. I would buy such a mic based solely on that recommendation.(v67 or something like that. $179 with shock mount, sounds comparable to a u87)

Re: let me add some confusion :D

CyanJaguar said:
a rode nt1 sounds like crap on my voice,

but I have a friend who recorded a cd with it. He has an awesome voice. The rode nt1 vocals compare favorably to the other cd he had done in a professional studio .

Yes, some eq will be necessary, but you can make it work.

If by any chance you can afford more, by all means do, or look at the marshall mic that harvey gerst recommended. I would buy such a mic based solely on that recommendation.(v67 or something like that. $179 with shock mount, sounds comparable to a u87)
No, it doesn't sound like a U87, but I think it would hold up quite well against a 147 or 149, or even some of the old Neumanns. We'll soon know for sure. Al Schmitt is getting a few to try out and there ain't nobody that knows the Neumann sound better than Al.

I bought one (my first condensor mic) for vocal use based mainly on opinions I had read here. It was quite a shock playing with it after using only Shure Dynamic mics - it picks up EVERYTHING so you need a truely quiet studio. I also suprised that it didn't sound much "better" than a SM-58 - a bit brighter but not the huge difference in tone that I was expecting.

It is nice to be able sing more than a few inches off the mic (which was a requirement with the Shures) and it does pick up quiet nuances that a dynamic mic misses.

From what I have been gathering on this board there is a big step up in mic quality if you can jump up to the $800 price range. For $200 I'm not sure you could do any better than the Rode.

Back