Rode NT1 and acoustic guitar

kyle.rusk

im recording my acoustic guitar with an NT1-A and i cant get it to sound good... this is my first set up ever... i researched this mic and found good reviews... but im not liking what i lay down... any advice??? specific plug ins??? position of mic??? different mic???

ps im running pro tools LE 8 W/ a digidesign 002 rack... nothing else...

i just want to lay down some really nice acoustic guitar...

im recording my acoustic guitar with an NT1-A and i cant get it to sound good... this is my first set up ever... i researched this mic and found good reviews... but im not liking what i lay down... any advice??? specific plug ins??? position of mic??? different mic???

ps im running pro tools LE 8 W/ a digidesign 002 rack... nothing else...

i just want to lay down some really nice acoustic guitar...

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a respectable sound with the Rode.

The first thing to check is the source. Does your guitar sound good on its own? Has it got good strings on it?

The second thing to try is mike positioning. A lot of folk around here will suggest setting the mike up about half a metre from the guitar, pointing roughly towards the 12th fret, and that would be a reasonable starting point. However, you might need to experiment a bit, and this could mean someone (preferably you, while someone else is playing) wandering around the guitar and looking for the best sounding spot.

Don't worry too much about getting a hot signal when tracking. Give yourself plenty of room to breathe when mixing later on.

If the guitar doesn't sound good recorded flat and without effects, then you have further work to do on the source.

im going to try and replace the strings... they are a couple months old... i got some advise to use small diaphram condensers in stereo... is this good advise??? i was thinking about buying some... am i wasting my money??? i think i understand about giving myself some room but not all the way sure... you mean keep my meter at 1/3 while tracking??? so i have room to play with later???

Back