Rode M3

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
So my wife and I are working on a new album and we're really trying to step up our production a bit...

We play acoustic music and track live. I play acoustic guitar and mandolin and might be playing some dobro on this record also. The wife plays Ukulele and Cello as well as acoustic guitar.

So far I have been working with modded MXL 991s and they have been pretty decent on our guitars but nothing really special... Fact is they are still a little noisy even after doing a couple mods... I am thinking of trying a M3 from Rode or maybe something else if there is another low noise clean sounding SDC mic out there for reasonable money.

Any thoughts about the M3 or suggestions for a different option? My biggest pet peeve with a lot of the budget mics I have tried is noise.

I've been using Røde M3's for drum overheads and acoustic guitars with mixed results hold back on the gain a little and spend some time Eq-ing your tone and you get a really nice clear sound with them in my ears but I haven't used MXL 991's so I can't say for sure, why not see if you can get a loan of one and test it out see if you like the flavour, actually quite good to me :)

Back