RODE k2 TUBE

planetorange

Does anyone out there have a Rode K2 or any experience with the Rode Classic 1 or 2? If anyone has info on these id appreciate it. Im looking to spend about 500 to 1000 bucks on a tube mic and i just want to find one that sounds as warm and "vintage" as a new mic possibly can. I am well aware of the fact that they CANT truly sound old, but i have decided to settle for a "neo-vintage" sound instead of spending 8 grand for a telefunken. Thanks for any help.

I haven't heard a K2 yet either but based on the sound of the NTK I'm expecting it to sound pretty awesome, especially when you consider the price.

PhilGood said:
I want my NTV!

The kids are too young to remember that. :p Actually, I shouldn't talk. I was born the year that MTV went on the air. :eek:

Back to the topic at hand. The K2, and the NTK, use IC's as impedance converters and ouput buffers. These duties were handled by transformers in vintage mics. Interestingly, the Classic II says it has a "thermionic impedance converter" meaning a tube instead of a chip, then the usual IC buffer. That would account for some of the difference in sound, and cost. Does anyone know if the NTV was transformer or IC on the output?

Rode seems to be set on using bipolar output buffer circuits instead of transformers, which is fine. I have an NT1A, and I like it. Go ahead, flame away. To quote OZRaves, "You can learn alot using that mike."

Back