Rode K2 and FMR RNP mini review

neogardguitar

Hey

I hang out on this post alot but don't post much. Well, I got a Rode K2 mic and an FMR RNp a few months ago and thought I would let you all know what I have thought:

First off, I'm recording acoustic guitar based music and vocals. Kind of a Bob Dylan, Daniel Lanois sort of style.

The K2 is an upgrade from a Studio Projects C1. K2 just blows the C1 away. For vocals the C1 always sounded brittle and very sibiliant for me. The K2 is smooth and expensive sounding. I guess you get what you pay for.

For acoustic guitar (I have 2 really high end handmade guitars) I have used a Shure Sm81 in the past, but I'm finding I like the K2 even better, especially on my jumbo. It gets the bass without boom.

As far as the FMR RNP, I would highly recommend that too. For me it is an upgrade from a Studio Projects VTB1. I'm just finding the clean-ness and focus of the sound to be quite nice. As you add more and more tracks, everything stays focused and doesn't blur.

All in all very happy with these 2 upgrades to my recording. Would highly recommend both.

N

Nice to see another fellow K2 user that has been happy with the results...

I record mostly acoustic work as well, and alas, my acoustic itself is boomy on a certain note in the lower end of the range, but aside from waiting on fixing that, I love mine as well.

Only running it through an M-Audio DMP-3, but it is still a nice, clean sound. Highly recommended...

Perhaps some sound clips when you get something together?

neogardguitar said:
The K2 is smooth and expensive sounding. N

LOL, excellent review, hmmmmmmmmmmmm expensive sounding. Glad you like the combo, I have an NTK that was on the shelf for a while cuz I popped for some higher level gear. Busted it out last week and it sounded great! Wonder what else I got in there that needs some air......

Back