Rockwool

desmond22

Hi all.
About to move into an apartment thats pretty close to a main highway. although there is a sound wall between the flat and highway, im concerned with the noise hampering my recording passion and even though ill only be recording acoustic guitar and vox id like to keep the noise of that in the room.
Years ago i worked in a rehearsal space and i helped rockwool a rehersal room that was right on a main road. It worked well and was great to jam in. it was like being in a vacuum - silent.
does anyone have any thoughts on the rockwool idea? its dense, about 50mm thick and comes in panels. gonna cost about 6-700 bucks to do the room, then i was gonna do bass traps, clouds etc after that and maybe some reflective surfaces on the walls - wood panels etc. There is carpet on the floor and id rather keep it there to not let sound spill downstairs. Would it be better to have a wooden floor?
thanx again!
Steve

p.s the room is small 3.0 by 3.4m. from reading on here , sounds like i need to make room within room:) Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, if you are trying to soundproof, you need to make a room within a room, rockwool may help a little but will really only be good as acoustic treatment. Try out some recordings before you go building a room though, I live next to a large road and rarely has it interfered with my recordings, usually I am close micing with the levels low though, and the road isn't a highway, really...Anyway, try it out.

Back