rockwool v. fiberglass

SilentSound

i know it's been posted about before but i'm about to have 2 weeks or more without working on our studio because i couldn't get out and buy rockwool today. i called an alternative supplyer who was closer and open saturdays. he said i'd be wasting money not using regular fiberglass insulation to insulate between 2" of concrete and drywall sheets.

i need to get this show on the road so to speak so i have a place and reason for the gear i have/am buying in the next week.

what do you y'all think? Thanks!

matt

i was under the impression that rockwool and fiberglass insulation are basically the same thing when it comes to sound treatment purposes.

you probably dont necessarily need it for in between the walls, but it will certainly help a lot. It really shines when used for acoustic treatment, on top of the walls in place of auralex studio foam.

i'm just looking to add mass to the thin 2" concrete walls. since sand and rocks would be a pain in the ass i'm hoping to find a suitable and somewhat dense insulation to help out as much as possible with the low freq's.

..but i'm definitely building all traps with 703 under actual canvas which is to be painted by a female artist that is a part of the studio commune we're building...

we'll intercool the walls and keep a 3" layer of ice!

i'm all ears and eyes to any valid ideas. thanks guys,

matt

Sounds like you have a good plan. Rigid fiberglass and rockwool are best used when used to "treat" a wall. The normal "fluffy" stuff is just fine for inwall/soundproofing. Save your money for the $$$ stuff and use the cheap pink fluffy behind the wall.

from what I have read on here, for your inside the room panels, you want the sound to be able to go through the covering. meaning basically that air has to be able to pass through. so paint......... i dont know much about paint but you want air to be able to pass.

Back